RE: [asa]RE: design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re:Gingerichon TE andID)

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 22:18:14 EDT

Hi Bill,
Metaphysics is the study of being. It is true that scientists deal with real, existing things. However, the data used by scientists is devoid of being since the data is just mere numbers. Therefore, theories are developed based on the obtained physical data.
 Metaphysics may come when one wants to integrated the physical aspect of elements in Nature with being, which is usually nonphysical and even supernatural. For instance, the physicist, the physiologist, the psychologist, the neurologist, the theologian, etc can study man. All may be studying different aspects of man, which can be reduced to one or more within the triad: physical/nonphysical/supernatural.
Now metaphysics regulates all these different kinds of knowledge, since all that exist is being, so it is the task of the metaphysician to put together the results of all these studies and have a total description of what man is. All the differing contributions of the study of man are necessary for obtaining the true nature of what man is. The elimination of any of these necessary kinds of knowledge is a form of reductionism and can even can reach the extent of being nihilistic. For instance, if some nutty scientist claims that man is nothing but atoms and molecules.
I thank all for these discussions. Hope these contributions helps.
Moorad