Re: design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 18:04:20 EDT

Heya Dave,

In defense of Cameron, I don't think he's just "making up" much of anything
here. If anything, he's taking metaphysics seriously - and there really is
an underlying metaphysical basis to science and the conclusions we draw from
it, however restrained and however unspoken. I'd also agree it's very
important to recognize the metaphysics that are in play both in terms of the
rock-bottom fundamentals (What metaphysical perspectives are needed to do
science) and the extraneous (what sort of metaphysical perspectives are
often present in science news / education / etc, but are tacked on and are
themselves unscientific.)

While I have criticisms of ID and don't think it itself is scientific, I
also agree with some of what Cameron is saying here. Not just about the
importance of recognizing the metaphysical roots and debates over "cause"
(Not just final causes, mind you, but criticisms like Hume's), but about how
the ID people aren't the only ones engaging in some extraneous metaphysics.
Why is it a threat to science itself when Behe or Dembski write books
speculating about the possibility of design being detected in nature -- but
when Stephen Weinberg asserts that science has shown nature to be comprised
of 'cold, pitiless indifference', when Victor Stenger writes a book titled
"God: The Failed Hypothesis. How Science Shows That God Does Not Exist",
when countless atheists present evolutionary development as scientific proof
that God wasa not involved, etc... well, THAT is just some private
individuals presenting their personal opinions. Claim to detect design in
nature, and you're quite possibly a malicious person, intentionally trying
to destroy science itself. Claim that science shows there is no God, and
you're merely opinionated.

I absolutely endorse being even-handed about 'metaphysics' in science. I do
have some disagreements with Cameron, though - unless I have him wrong, he
seems to think that examining possibilities of chemical evolution for the
first cell takes on an unavoidable metaphysical suggestion of 'this was
unguided'. I'd see it differently - if anything it illustrates one way a
Creator could have accomplished what He wanted to accomplish. I'd also
disagree that science "purports to be able to explain the *origin* of
natural entities" - or at least that science properly understood cannot do
this. Not without tainting it with a strong dosage of metaphysics.

In this vein, let me suggest a fun way to think about these questions: If I
develop a program that simulates evolutionary development, and I illustrate
how by changing certain variables, starting data, etc, I'm capable of
influencing and directing how the evolution unfolds (In other words, I'm
able to guide and direct the evolution towards certain pathways and goals),
would that be evidence of intelligent design? If we manage to create
synthetic life in a laboratory from scratch, would that be evidence of
intelligent design? If I manage to create a simulation of a universe - no
matter how small, no matter how limited - is that evidence of intelligent
design? If we find a way to create another universe in a laboratory, would
that be evidence of intelligent design? Would "humans will find a way to
create life in a laboratory" an ID prediction?

Either way, this I have great sympathies with what Cameron is saying here -
both about the importance (and prevalence) of metaphysics in science, as
well as the uneven treatment of ID (or even 'theistic') perspectives
compared to others.