RE: design and the nature of science (was: Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID)

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Mon Jun 08 2009 - 11:38:54 EDT

Hi Cameron,
Let me say from the outset that I believe God upholds the creation. Precisely what that means is hard to understand. However, this upholding of the creation by God allows physics to be done in the manner that I have indicated. There are actions from God, which we would term as miraculous, that would be buried in history and not accessible to the experimental sciences but only to personal witnesses.
I have always struggled with the meaning of efficient and final causes. A believe like Malebranche that the only causal power is God. Therefore, I consider that efficient causes must be the causes we ascribe to Nature in our theories. Schrödinger said that the construction of the real world around us is based on our sensations, perceptions, and memories. Of course, I would characterize that more precisely by indicating what data do we acquire and who acquires it. I make a distinction between purely physical devices as detectors and humans as “detectors.” The former deals only with the physical aspect of Nature, whereas the latter includes also the nonphysical and the supernatural aspects of Nature. I include part of the supernatural as aspect of Nature because I believe, as C.S Lewis does, that human reasoning is supernatural. Of course, God as Creator is outside Nature.
Cameron the explanations of Nature by physicists are via the mathematical models they use to describe the physical aspect of Nature. It gets somewhat fuzzy in other fields of science that are not based neither at all on mathematics model making nor on physical concepts. There, mere words are used as a means of constructing theories of Nature, especially if they depart from results established by the experimental sciences.
I do not know much of medieval Muslim occasionalism but I would think it is not Malebranche’s occasionalism. Certainly, modern science was developed in Christian nations not Islamic nations.
I do not consider that life can be reduced to the purely physical. Therefore, any element of Nature that is living must be not only physical but contain aspects of the nonphysical and the supernatural. I did write a letter to PSCF, Can science make the "breath" of God part of its subject matter? http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_7049/is_3_60/ai_n28562903/?tag=content;col1 That would indicate that I believe in God and that He originated life. That is why I believe, you may say that is based on my metaphysics, that purely physical devices cannot detect “life” but only living entities. Therefore, life is outside the purview of science. If a cell is a living entity that came into existence then that unique historical event is beyond scientific explanation and so must be considered a miraculous event.
Cameron the term “natural” is quite equivocal. That is the reason why I emphasize the notions of physical/nonphysical/supernatural. The notion of physical is much easier to define and thus something that is not purely physical must be in the realm of the nonphysical and supernatural. Note that a precise definition of science, albeit an initial attempt, makes it clear when people are being reductionists when they claim that science explains everything. To my ears, that always sounded nonsensical if not outright foolish.
In my estimation, the question how the first cell came into being may not even be a scientific question and so the answer may be theological. These are ontological questions not scientific ones. Newton was not concerned about how the solar system came into being he took it as a given. I always believed that questions of origins are beyond science and I still do.
I just want to make a minor correction in my last post: “The existence of a Creator is an unavoidable conclusion of serious and honest reasoning. However, such a conclusion I do NOT make as a physicist but as a human being whereby I am trying to put together not only scientific studies but also the totality of the human experience. Moorad”
Let us all be honest, we do not have any inkling on how the Creator interacts with His creation. We can only do unadulterated science is we meekly do what we can and behave with humility before this extraordinary creation, of which we are part of. Speculations of front-loading are just that speculations. Einstein said it best,” "There are two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." I ascribe to the latter.
Moorad