Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 07 2009 - 20:44:26 EDT

Heya Cameron,

No, I'm not saying that your use of "non-teleological" is novel at all. But
the more I read about the history of science and teleology, the more I'm
convinced that there is some sleight of hand going on. Where at one point
science simply proceeded with the assumption that teleology may well exist,
but simply could not be proven by experiment - in other words teleology was
treated as a question that could not be asked, or at least that science
could not answer. But that has since turned, in some quarters, to a question
that science answers (or at the very least, assumes the answer from the
outset) in the negative. The two views are tremendously distinct - yet one
seems to change into the other at times, by nothing but philosophical
shell-gaming. I'm not at all accusing you of doing this, by the way - I just
think the difference between "Science cannot decide on this existence" and
"Science has proven this does not exist" / "Science assumes this does not
exist" is tremendous, and can't be repeated enough.

Now, I agree with you that Jews, Christians, etc are asserting something
that they believe is true about the world. On the other hand, I recall a
thomist blogger asserting that there is a test for (for example) the
afterlife: You die. Just as there's a test for a prophecy: You wait. Between
that and the various historical claims or extra-scientific claims, I think
there's an abundance of 'reality tests' for religious claims. Admittedly,
not all of these are the kinds of tests we can go out and solve this very
moment with a particular experiment, etc - but then, the only kind of test
like that which I can think of would be a scientific test. (I imagine
philosophy could apply to a degree - show a claim to be contradictory, etc -
but I'm reminded of Van Inwagen pointing out that nothing of import in the
history of philosophy has ever been settled decisively.)

I would absolutely agree that there is tremendous value in ID - particularly
as a philosophical or theological tool. I guess one difference I would have
here is that I don't see the necessity of classing ID as itself somehow
'scientific' to get a lot of that value. The philosophical approach of
viewing the world as an exquisite work of engineering, or programming, even
artwork, is considerable in my view. In fact, I think it goes a long way
towards clearing that rubble you speak of - once the metaphysical
presuppositions (extraneous to the science, and frankly rather alien to
quite a lot of experience) are out of the way, there's very little "left"
for Dawkins and company to crow about. Most of the steam in their engines is
from trading on ignorance about science and metaphysics.

I think the neo-Thomist criticism of ID can be expanded, actually. Or
rather, it's not the only way to criticize both what appears to be a
fundamental assumption of ID, as well as one of Darwinists and TEs. Though
it's getting into more esoteric areas, considerations about panpsychism, or
idealism, or panentheism, etc all are rock-bottom metaphysical perspectives
(I won't defend their particular strengths, etc) that help to illustrate the
importance and application of philosophy when considering scientific
questions. That'd branch off into a larger topic, but it's one I want to
mention - particularly since I see a number of contemporary moves by
materialists to try and claim panpsychism as "just materialism", despite it
being radically distinct from what materialism currently is taken to mean.
(I've also found it interesting how severely that doctrine/outlook has
changed, but you wouldn't know it by hearing anyone talk about philosophy.)

As for reason, teleology, and science, maybe there's a way here where TEs
and ID proponents could possibly hash out a common ground on. The recurring
theme seems to me that ID proponents argue that their arguments are
scientific/science. What would an ID proponent say to someone who argued
that ID wasn't science, but were still powerful arguments based on reason,
or philosophy, or otherwise? I guess another way of asking this is whether
ID is itself, in your view, purely a scientific endeavor or if there are
philosophical, metaphysical, and forensic arguments at work in the 'big
tent' as well?

And thanks for the insightful responses!

I agree with you that the opposite of fideism is reason, not science in the
> narrow modern sense. And I don't want to elevate natural science to the
> status where it dictates what people believe. If we go back to the Middle
> Ages, when teleological reasoning was accepted in natural science and
> therefore science had broader explanatory powers than we grant to it
> today, nobody even then thought that natural science contained all
> truth. Beyond science there was metaphysics, and then there was
> revelation. So even if, for the sake of argument, all TEs were to accept
> today that design inferences are "scientific", there would be no
> encroachment of science upon the higher truths of revelation.
>
> As usual, Schwarzwald, your thoughts are pertinent and substantial. I hope
> I've adequately answered your comments.
>
> Cameron.

>>> inference (which is scientific, in the opinion of ID advocates).