Re: [asa] Re: Gingerich on TE and ID

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Jun 07 2009 - 17:50:09 EDT

Heya Cameron,

I don't think science is properly called "non-teleological". At best, it's
silent on teleology.

But my main question here is - why is it important to you not only that
Christianity be in some ways potentially 'at risk', but that specifically
science provides that risk? Why wouldn't, say, the discovery of Christ's
body be enough of a 'risk'? Or the appearance of another deity or seeming
validation of another religion, etc? Especially when you're a person who, I
think, is clearly aware of how often the reach and conclusions of 'science'
is overblown, misunderstood, mixed with metaphysics, etc?

There's an additional problem here: Even if ID were to be dramatically
successful - even if it were established, and all scientists agreed, that
there was design of the most fundamental nature present in the universe,
that would not be enough to prove Christianity, much less theism. And if you
don't believe me, watch how Dawkins, Dennett, and other atheists have
responded when faced with what they thought was certain evidence of design
(Francis Crick and the Origin of Life) or when asked about how they'd react
to certain evidence of design. The answer is: Most would give assent to a
designer, then go on to claim it was not God. Putting aside multiverses, the
replies would range from aliens of superior intelligence and technology
(Dennett mentioned this in his recent discussion with Plantinga), or our
living in a simulated universe (David Chalmers and Nick Bostrom among others
have discussed this), and otherwise.

What's more, you talk about pre-modern Christianity (Catholics in
particular) seeing faith and reason as entwined. I'd agree with that. The
problem is that the same pre-modern Christianity approached this question
with a heavy investment in metaphysics - and the modern Thomists who
subscribe wholeheartedly to such a view routinely chide ID proponents on
this very topic, since they see ID as embracing a fundamental metaphysical
perspective that they view as mistaken (Namely, mechanistic materialism,
where all matter is "dead" stuff blindly and purposelessly reacting to
external laws.) Maintaining a reciprocal relationship between faith and
reason doesn't amount to elevating science (certainly a science married to a
flawed modern metaphysic) onto a pedestal which exclusively dictates what we
should or shouldn't believe, at least not for most of the Thomists I've
read. The underlying philosophical perspective plays a key role, and
metaphysics happens to play a larger role than science. (Indeed, 'science',
they remind people repeatedly, is made possible and proceeds because of
certain metaphysical commitments.) Or, put another way, the opposite of
fideism is not science, but reason - and reason covers vastly more than
science. Science is simply a subset of reason.

I guess what I'm saying here amounts to this: Entwining faith and reason
doesn't seem to require elevating science to the level you seem to suggest
it does, the type of "fideism" you complain about is as or more prevalent
among the atheists ID seems most concerned with combatting, and the opposite
of fideism isn't science but reason (which is far broader than science.) I
do appreciate the suggestion that Christians have to be more aggressive on
the subject of design and nature.

This turn toward the subjective is connected with the modern tendency to