Re: [asa] three origin of life scenarios

From: Randy Isaac <randyisaac@comcast.net>
Date: Sat Jun 06 2009 - 15:41:00 EDT

Cameron,
  You certainly do get an A for effort and I appreciate your approach. Unfortunately, I have to say that regarding your anticipation of my response, you're batting 0 for 3. Maybe, if I generously give partial credit for one aspect of a third of part 3, a score of 0.1 out of 3.

1. I'm puzzled why you see a one-to-one correlation between appearance ex nihilo and design. Neither mandates the other. In all the analogous examples of design by intelligent agents like humans, design is never characterized by appearance ex nihilo. And many on this list have noted that references to God's creation in the Bible often explicitly claim formation from pre-existing forms. From a scientific point of view, appearance ex nihilo is not unknown to anyone who has studied quantum mechanics and it is not related to design.
   In your example a cell just pops into being ex nihilo. If this is a one time singularity, scientific methodology has nothing to say or investigate. It's just an oddity. If it's a reproducible event that can be stimulated under controlled laboratory conditions, then it would be quite interesting indeed and worthy of further investigation. If this appearance occurred in the past and not under controlled observation, then all bets are off. One could not say scientifically with certainty that its appearance was ex nihilo or not. But there's no case that I can think of that would lead to a scientific conclusion of design (by non-human intelligent agents), though one might indeed be suspicious that a human being had contaminated the experiment.

2. Your second example is not one that I would describe as chance, at least from a scientific perspective. It is an innovative science fiction tale. It may be valuable as a comparison of vivid imagination and ability to conjure up fictional scenarios. But it doesn't constitute what science recognizes as chance. Chance to a scientist is within the framework of the probability amplitudes of natural processes.

3. This scenario is as much science fiction as the previous one but for discussion purposes, I'll presume you in fact sketched out a more plausible scenario. Let's take your comments in reverse order. No, I don't see how an intervening designer is one that would arise under any scientific perspective. And, as I've stated previously, I don't see the interventionist model in Scripture either so this is off the table. And front-loading is totally transparent to science and isn't Biblically based either, as far as I can tell. It may serve as a bandaid for some philosophical positions, but a scientist can't distinguish a well-behaved comprehensible system that is front-loaded from one that isn't. That leaves what you describe as a "blind, trial-and-error chemical evolutionary process." That phrase is so loaded with philosophical presuppositions that it's hard to treat seriously as a scientific observation. Blind? Well, yes and no. Yes in the sense that the factors triggering mutations are unrelated to and unaffected by the final impact. No in the sense of being wildly random and out of bounds of typical reactions. Not necessarily, in the sense of mataphysical purposefulness. Trial-and-error? Yes, you can get some partial credit for that. But is this any different from the very core of trial and error inherent in all chemical processes? Virtually every reaction around us is driven by thermal activation, which could, though somewhat dubiously, be described as a trial-and-error approach. On the other hand, from a species perspectives, it looks suspiciously as if there were a number of different hominid species that didn't survive. One of those species did survive and become God's chosen people. Is that trial and error? Maybe scientifically but it certainly need not be theologically.

I do look forward to listening to the rest of Hazen's course. He seems to be eminently cognizant of the real possibility that scientifically we'll never be able to determine the origins of life. You can leap to whatever metaphysical conclusion you want from that, but it wouldn't be a scientifically driven conclusion. Alternatively, if the reaction path from non-life to life is ever documented scientifically it would be most fascinating indeed. Hazen and the other 500 or so researchers in the International Society of the Study of the Origin of Life have spent a lot of time understanding the aspects of life that might make it amenable to detect its origins. In that case, it most likely would not be a singularity and would have happened elsewhere in this universe. It would in no way eliminate a divine designer, though that is not a scientific conclusion either.

Randy