Re: [asa] Origins of Life

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sat Jun 06 2009 - 13:23:33 EDT

And I must further add to my previous response below that my "bigger messier"
description of science still was highly romanticized in that it does not mention
the many false starts, wrong theories, wacky misconceptions among the lay public
and even sometimes among the leading thinkers that for a time may have swayed
some but were overturned later. All of that may be termed the "undergrowth of
science" --which actually is the title of a wonderful book on exactly these
topics. (author slips my mind at the moment.) What we now see to be the
successes distilled out of this history of undergrowth could or would not have
been achieved independently of the same substrate of effort that gives us all of
this: failures, successes, all.

--Merv
p.s. the burning question now, as in every previous time, is which of our
currently developing fingers of knowledge will evaporate and which will prove
productive and explanatory a hundred years hence? We want the same crystal ball
everybody else has always wanted and like they, we are denied.

Quoting mrb22667@kansas.net: