Re: [asa] Origins of Life

From: <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sat Jun 06 2009 - 13:14:38 EDT

Quoting Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>:

> I understand your point, Merv, but what you,re presenting can be seen as a
> <romantic view of science.> Much science, as it is done, is not eureka
> moments, and bafflement, and imagination. It is day to day data collection,
> experimentation, repetition, documentation, classification, observation, etc.
> The majority of scientists don,t actually contribute much at all to
> <scientific progress>. Lakatos spoke about the innovators being roughly 7 per
> cent of scientists. Would anyone out there choose to argue with him?

Your point is well-taken, Greg. I would add that not only was my description
romanticized but it could still be seen as the core (or "heart & soul") of
science. Then, as you might, say: most of the body is not "heart" but the
surrounding and supporting flesh & structure. The 7% of innovators you refer to
are busy doing what we aspire to call science at its best. But a knife edge
cannot exist without supporting structure behind it (i.e. data collection,
organization, presentation, messy argumentation, formulation, publication,
education, dissemination, popularization --which may in turn lead to tax payer
funding back to the cutting edge crew... etc.) The whole big messy endeavor
all has its place in the world of science. But we can still point to the type
of thinking required to be on or near the cutting edge and say to those around
us: "now THAT'S scientific thinking!" without meaning that all the rest isn't
also part of science.

--Merv