Re: [asa] Origins of Life

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Sat Jun 06 2009 - 08:54:12 EDT

Hi Merv and Mike,

Though it may be difficult to claim that one is <knowledgeable> simply because one is a scientist, it certainly makes sense that there is a fine line between giving critics of science more things to criticise and expressing the element of wonder and lack of knowledge as it is sometimes involved in doing science.

I understand your point, Merv, but what you,re presenting can be seen as a <romantic view of science.> Much science, as it is done, is not eureka moments, and bafflement, and imagination. It is day to day data collection, experimentation, repetition, documentation, classification, observation, etc. The majority of scientists don,t actually contribute much at all to <scientific progress>. Lakatos spoke about the innovators being roughly 7 per cent of scientists. Would anyone out there choose to argue with him?

Certainly being curious is consistent with doing science, and also the dream of wanting to know more, that the world is both rational and mysterious, etc. But being baffled may be a compliment restricted more to the cutting edge than to the run-of-the-mill scientist.

Most people on the street are baffled about many things too!

Gregory
(en route to Vilnius)