Re: [asa] Origins of Life

From: dfsiemensjr <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Thu Jun 04 2009 - 23:17:19 EDT

Randy,
I heartily second your post. Cameron seems to be making the silly mistake
of confusing technique with metaphysics. Methodological naturalism merely
specifies that science of any sort requires testing against observation,
whether directly or indirectly. Galileo rolling balls was an example of
direct testing against repeatable observations. It is no longer that
simple in physics, and has been less so in biology and any science that
involves persons. But at least the theoretical possibility of empirical
testing is necessary. To make methodological naturalism into a
metaphysical dogma requires the claim that the only source of knowledge
is science, that is, scientism. There is no member of ASA who adopts
scientism.

Methodological naturalism gives confirmation or falsification to
scientific claims. It cannot touch metaphysical claims, which cannot be
tested empirically except in rare cases. I think of Schopenhauer's
pessimism, which claims that the negative experiences mount up
inexorably, whereas the demonstrable fact is that negative experiences
are forgotten more readily than positive ones. Those few who collect
nothing but the negative will probably be classed as mentally ill.

In general, the only test available for metaphysical claims is
consistency. The limitations of consistency are evident in the several
mutually contradictory geometries or the infinite variety of modular
arithmetics. Although I think Cameron will object, materialism is one of
the metaphysical views that can be logically consistent. It has its
problems, for no metaphysics completely explains or has place for
everything. Eventually one is forced back to the primary assumptions.
Those of materialism are not compatible with Cameron's primary
assumptions, nor with mine. That, as a Christian, I put unconditional
faith in my assumptions, does not prove them right. But I must live by
faith. I have to recognize that not all understand this. I recall a
professor of mine, a committed Kantian, who insisted that he had no
assumptions, but was just seeing things as they are. He could not
understand why his students did not see it as he, being right, did.

Do I see design in the universe? Yes, by faith. Do I see guidance of the
development of the earth and its inhabitants? Yes, by faith. Are these
matters that involve the methodology of science? No! I have to recognize
a similar distinction when I thank God for my food while also recognizing
the need for farmers, truckers, millers, bakers and a host of other
workers. Theological matters and practical ones are neither contradictory
nor mutually cancelling.
Dave (ASA)

On Thu, 4 Jun 2009 21:51:20 -0400 "Randy Isaac" <randyisaac@comcast.net>