Re: [asa] ID vis a vis id

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Tue Jun 02 2009 - 00:17:12 EDT

Deism conventionally presumes hands off after creation.
Front-loading comes in more than one flavor, but as I see it, though
Creation is presumed to be running essentially on automatic (by design),
but God's interaction with the physical is not precluded, just not primary.

Instead, his sphere of primary activity and interest by and large
appears to me to lie in aspects of Creation which transcend the physical
workings (including the biological) of Creation. We talk of God in terms
of spirit (other than physical), and our interactions with him and with
each other in some domain other than the physical. It was created from
"nothing"/chaos, and eternity is presumed by many to be outside the
physical constraints, so I just don't understand the imperative for God
to actively either choose to or be required to sustain and direct the
rather humdrum* physical workings of Creation (*especially when its
workings are so creatively productive as-designed).

So a question back - does the problem with front-loading reduce to
thinking that it precludes God's ability/willingness to interact with
nature to respond to our needs/prayers? If so, I don't think that is an
issue per se with front-loading. It might be with Deism.

JimA [Friend of ASA]