Re: [asa] RE:(feedback) Kenneth Miller in Portland Oregon tomorrow, Thur.

From: David Clounch <david.clounch@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 14:43:40 EDT

The natural condition of all human beings, assuming there is no God to reach
down and rescue some from this fate, is to end up in hell.

Unless of course there is no hell. If there is no hell then there is no
ethical dilemma. If, of course, one can live with giving up on justice.

Why? As Kant pointed out, there must be a hell for justice to exist. There
certainly is no justice on this earth - human justice is a sad facsimile of
real justice. So by Kant's reasoning, justice must happen in the afterlife.

Whats the roots of the alleged ethical dilemma?
I get the impression that some people, if they won the lottery, instead of
being happy, would sue the lottery "because not everyone won the lottery".
They would claim the lottery was unfair, or maybe even claim there is no
lottery or should be no lottery, and if there is, lets kill it because it
must be outdated and oppressive. They might even reject all truck with
the lottery and even decide "oh, I dont believe in buying lottery
tickets". What they miss is, of course, that after killing the horrible
lottery they are left with the result that everyone is left in poverty.

To an evolutionary biologist its very very fair to produce a billion
offspring in the hopes one or two or three will survive. The loss of
999,999,997 isn't unfair. Its the plan! Thinking this way, if almost all
the human race ends up in hell just so a few can be rescued, please explain
to me how is this kind of plan different that straight up biology? Where's
the problem?

But, to a *traditional* thinker who presupposes that God pre-planned every
single human life, and valued every single individual human since from
before the beginning of time - yes, then and only is there an ethical
problem to be solved. (and there is indeed a solution but thats for another
day). But excuse me, the people who believe that traditional way are all
either creationists or IDers. Or at the very least people who haven't given
up on pre-planning since before time began. (I say nothing here about TE
because I dont understand how a TE formulates God's pre-planning of every
human before the universe began, so I can't say anything about that view. )
  To me the concepts of pre-planning and design go together, but maybe I am
wrong about that? When I hear everyone denying design what I really hear is
they are denying pre-planning with preferred outcomes and actual caring on
the part of the planner.

There seems yet another way, Miller's way, perhaps. Synthesize the
biologist's approach with Christianity. You get: The Stochastic God.
The Stochastic God isnt designing and isn't pre-planning. The Stochastic
God is running a simulation to see what sorts of individuals are produced,
what choices they will make, etc. There is no concept of real love or
caring there. The Stochastic God is the one true loveless God. We hear a
lot of whining about how its the traditional God who doesn't love. But
that's not true. The real ethical dilemma of love and justice is vastly
more problematic with The Stochastic God. I cannot tell the difference
between the cold hearted Stochastic God and the cold hearted universe of the
atheist. So I don't think the grad student is going to get a satisfying
answer or a satisfying eschatology from that group.