Re: [asa] Re: ID vis a vis id

From: John Burgeson (ASA member) <hossradbourne@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jun 01 2009 - 12:09:22 EDT

" I wouldn't put a long footnote right on the same page as the
periodic table, but I certainly think that science students should be
taught how the periodic table was arrived at. Too often it is just
presented as a fact of the universe, that there is this mysterious
periodic table that scientists just happen to know. And I would say
this is generally the case in science teaching, that students are
taught rules and facts and formulas as disembodied results, with
hardly any attention at all to the human and intellectual activity
which established those results. This bookish mode of teaching
falsifies the real nature of science, and also prepares the public
mind for "science" to be used as a set of dogmas by ideologues like
Dawkins"

Am I the only one here who remembers his High School education utterly
at variance with the above. My school, BTW, was an inner city school
(South High in Youngstown, Ohio) and not considered one of the
"elite."

Of course, the argument may be made that things have devolved since
that time. Perhaps. I do wince sometimes at my daughter, a talented
and successful lawyer, when she addresses some scientific topic.

Burgy
www.burgy.50megs.com