Re: [asa] The argument against the argument against design

From: wjp <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 19:36:46 EDT

Chris:

This argument, at least in its most crude summary presented here, appears to be a defeater for all arguments. After all, even if we have only two different reasons to believe anything, and we (as this argument does) judge them to be of equal weight, we would only have a 50% probability of choosing one over the other. And if we have a large number of different reasons for believing something, each being treated equally, we would have good reasons to conclude that we ought to believe nothing.

It appears to me that such an argument is perhaps commonly made, but is the constant companion of predoominantly lazy thinkers, or people who simply want to believe that what they believe is as good as anything that anyone else believes, and doesn't want to be bothered with the specifics.

I can see that there may be more to the argument. That's just my take on cursory review.

bill