Re: [asa] science education

From: Merv Bitikofer <mrb22667@kansas.net>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 07:30:30 EDT

Bill is right regarding the difficulties of "teaching" critical
thinking. (modeling, encouraging, --or even just: *not discouraging*
critical thought is about all a high school teacher can try to do.) In
a society that has increasing paranoia about teacher quality and a
love/hate relationship with standardized tests and merit criteria, most
teachers feel a lot of pressure just to move kids to the "testing well"
stage which is solidly in the grammar / logic portion that Bill
discussed. We would love to be able to tread the paths, ask similar
questions, repeat the experiments that great innovators of the past had
to get through to achieve their revolutionary progress. But to do this
more than just in a passing token sense and still cover the expected
material, we would need your students in our science rooms for about
three years instead of one ---and without so much lost class time to
sports, fund raisers, and other competing ---sometimes noble and worthy
activities. Another related challenge is that, without some of the
basic building blocks, students haven't even arrived at the point where
they can begin to ask the penetrating questions. Until they have basic
apprehension of Newton's work, they won't be able to properly appreciate
how counter-intuitive relativity or QM can be, for example.

I aspire towards much of this; and in fact my physics and chemistry
students do get treatment of the history of scientific thought including
discussion about Galileo and even MN which I pull in as a result of my
years' participation on this list. But this past year after allowing my
students extra time for experimentation in other major areas we ended up
shortchanging the study of optics and had to do a cursory (literally
post-course) fly-through of relativity and QM topics in modern physics.
(And other major areas like thermodynamics also ended up being a bit
rushed.) So there are definitely trade-offs and public pressure for
good standardized test results definitely do NOT favor your side in that
balance. Until the public can let go of its cherished mistrust of
teachers (even despite that mistrust being justifiably earned in too
many cases --but probably not as many as popularly imagined) I fear no
progress will be made. It's time for Johnny to know he will own his
own failures (and successes) again.

--Merv (a high school science teacher whose four-year degree is in
electrical engineering --guess I didn't quite make your cut!)
p.s. your points, Cameron, are well-taken though; and I've been slowly
moving in these directions for several years now and still have many
improvements to make.