Re: [asa] science education

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 02:36:56 EDT

"Suppose that universities made it compulsory for *all science majors* to take a least *one semester* of history and/or philosophy of science.... I think that such a requirement would go a long way toward broadening the education of future scientists...."

As an English major who made a slow transition into graduate physics and in the process took upper level courses in philosophy, economics, psychology, physiology, anthropology, etc., by the time I graduated I thought I'd had a fairly broad formal education. What surprised me in the workplace was how knowledgeable my colleagues were about subjects outside their specialties. Perhaps my expectations were too low, but as a rule the people I worked with were far broader in knowledge and outlook--even on religion--than I'd expected.

I don't know how general this finding might be; but as I developed contacts with people from other organizations, my opinion of research scientists in this respect dropped little if any. These people were mostly PhDs from top universities--e.g., Stanford, MIT, UC Berkeley, etc., but I think they picked up most of what they knew on diverse subjects from outside reading.

In short, I have no personal indication that there's a big problem with narrowness among research scientists.

Deficiencies among the general public, however, are often all too obvious. And from what I hear, public school teachers are often a disgrace. Could a single course fix them?

Don