[asa] Concept of "nature" and "natural" in the ancient world?

From: Christine Smith <christine_mb_smith@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 02:16:39 EDT

Hi all,

It wasn't until I studied the concept of "nature" in college that I really grasped how distinctively human a concept it is, and how our understanding of it can change over time. I've been pondering for awhile now how this plays a role in what Paul writes in Romans 1:26-27. What does Paul really mean when he refers to "natural" and "unnatural"? What did these concepts mean in the ancient world? Did they have a significantly different meaning or connotation than they do today? Looking up the words "Nature" and "natural" in blueletterbible, I noted that this term does not appear frequently, and is almost entirely confined to the New Testament. Were these Greek concepts in origin, rather than Hebrew? Anyone have any insights or knowledge of how the "nature" distinction was understood in the ancient world? Has anyone ever studied this before?

Please note - I am *not* looking for a debate on Paul's views of homo**sexuality here. I am simply trying to understand the words and concepts being referenced here.

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughts :)

In Christ,
Christine

"For we walk by faith, not by sight" ~II Corinthians 5:7

Help save the life of a homeless animal--visit www.azrescue.org to find out how.

Recycling a single aluminum can conserves enough energy to power your TV for 3 hours--Reduce, Reuse, Recycle! Learn more at www.cleanup.org