[asa] Experimental science and metascience

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 00:23:20 EDT

Cameron,

No elementary or secondary or university science course that I know of
does not teach how various important theories were arrived at--it's
usually a simpllistic presentation but it's there. Including the
periodic table. The evolution section of most biology textbooks
recount Darwin's travels and reflections. And most courses, especially
at the secondary and university level but increasingly with an
emphasis on hands-on science education have laboratories. Many
colleges and universities now require or encourage undergraduates to
get involved in original research in addition to a laboratory
component for all courses.

Hear! Hear! to your suggestion about history of science or philosophy
of science. At Calvin we strongly encouraged folks to take Del
Ratzsch's course that had a history of science and a philosophy of
science component. Arie Leegwater also taught a history of science/
chemistry from time to time. Our capstone course which I helped teach
when I was there, required of all majors, had a huge philosophy of
science, sociology of science component.

It's probably stressed less at universities like CSU. We too have a
capstone course, where there is some discussion of sociology of
science, ethics, etc. Little is done in formal philosophy of science
that I can tell.

TG