[asa] Re: ID vis a vis id

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 23:34:15 EDT

Ted:

1. You snipped off the part of my message where I went on to say to Terry
Gray that I was not at that point defending ID as an inference, but only
trying to show its compatibility, in principle, with some forms of theistic
evolution, including the form that you have propounded. Thus, by taking my
first few points out of their context, you have shifted the topic of
discussion. I am at the moment raising the question whether anyone here
finds the ID inference persuasive as "science", but whether you and Terry
and George and others would grant me that such an inference, if it *were*
possible, would not be incompatible with theistic evolution.

2. I wouldn't put a long footnote right on the same page as the periodic
table, but I certainly think that science students should be taught how the
periodic table was arrived at. Too often it is just presented as a fact of
the universe, that there is this mysterious periodic table that scientists
just happen to know. And I would say this is generally the case in science
teaching, that students are taught rules and facts and formulas as
disembodied results, with hardly any attention at all to the human and
intellectual activity which established those results. This bookish mode of
teaching falsifies the real nature of science, and also prepares the public
mind for "science" to be used as a set of dogmas by ideologues like Dawkins.

3. I'm certainly not refusing to read Gingerich's book, and I don't
completely disagree with Gingerich's remarks that you present, but I note
that they presume that "science" means "modern science", and that of course
raises questions I've raised before about teleology and so on. It may be
that modern science suffers from a fundamental defect in its rejection of
teleology. More important, I don't like his use of the word "belief" in the
context of the passage given. He writes: "It is a matter of *belief* or
*ideology* how we *choose to think* about the universe". Now I don't want
to over-read this, because I don't know how philosophically conscious
Gingerich is about the way he uses words. At the same time, even the
unconscious adoption of terminology is often revealing. "Ideology",
properly understood, is philosophy contaminated by partisan spirit. No
Greek thinker would let "ideology" anywhere near a philosophy of nature.
But maybe Gingerich isn't being precise; maybe by "ideology" he means
something much looser, a set of ideas about the world or something. So
let's let that go for the moment. How about "choose to think"? No Greek
thinker would have used that kind of existentialist language about thought.
You don't "choose to think" something, Plato or Aristotle would say, as if
reality is a Baskin-Robbins shop and you can pick the flavour you want. The
job of philosophy for a Greek is to co-ordinate the mind with reality, not
to facilitate picking a picture of reality that makes you feel emotionally
comfortable. Gingerich's triad of terms here, belief-ideology-choosing to
think, betrays a very modern spirit in its approach to nature, knowledge,
and truth.

Thus, Gingerich's language here -- and I grant that I am taking a small bit
out of context, so I am mainly using it as illustrative of a general modern
tendency, even if Gingerich himself can be exonerated from blame for the
criticism which follows -- takes, from my point of view, a wrong turn. It
seems to suggest that when confronted by, say, the astronomically low
probability of certain transformations happening by chance, the proper way
of interpreting the numbers is to turn away from reason and to consult one's
"ideology" or "world view", that is, to make one's personal commitments
regarding the existence or nonexistence of God the interpretive key. I find
this sort of thinking typical of the modern schizophrenia between "belief"
and "science", "world views" and "facts", "faith" and "reason", just the
sort of thinking that I (as the self-appointed representative of the Greeks
here) am trying to combat.

I can't speak for ID people or for Christians generally or for anyone but
myself, but speaking for myself, let me say this: I *don't* look at the
massive improbability of a cell's being formed by chance, and then say,
"From a science point of view, it could be luck or it could be God", and
then choose in accord with my belief system. Rather, I look at the
empirical facts rationally, and I conclude from improbabilities on that
order, repeated up and down the breadth of nature, from the cell to the
flagellum through to the constants of physics, that nature itself is trying
to tell me something. My inclination to
see "design" therefore has nothing to do with a desire to interpret the
world theistically. My inclination to see "design" is based (1) on the
facts of nature; (2) on reason; and (3) on the fact the only alternative to
design is found in biological and chemical evolutionary scenarios, and the
ones thus far propounded are either self-contradictory or preposterously
unlikely. Further on the last point, I don't accept "luck" as an
explanation for things of the order of complexity of the cell or the
suspicious upward march of evolution. The appeal to "luck", to my Greek
cast of mind, is either an abandonment of explanation altogether, or a
desperate attempt to pass off a weak theory as an explanation. So whatever
my private "belief", my "world view", my "ideology", my "faith", my
"religious commitment" may be, it has nothing to do with my inferences.

Another way of putting it would be this: the other day Terry (I think) said
that he believed in design because he believed in the designer. That is, he
imputes design to nature not on the strength of the evidence which nature
itself supplies, but because of his prior belief in the God of the Bible.
That is essentially what Gingerich is talking about here. My position is
the opposite. I believe in God -- I don't mean here specifically the God of
the Bible, since I'm dealing with nature not revelation here, but a more
general notion of God -- in part because I infer design from nature. That's
not the whole story, because I also believe that the existence of
conscience, the notion of moral law, etc. points us to God. The point is
that for me, while the specifics of the Christian religion may require a
"leap of faith" (though I intensely dislike that language), belief in the
God of nature and the God of moral law does not require any "leap of faith".
A rational person can believe in God without "leaping", because God has
provided a staircase, or at least, a single flight of stairs going part of
the way up. The kind of God that emerges from such reflection upon nature
and conscience and so on may not be enough to satisfy a Christian. It may
be Aristotle's God or Plato's God or some other sort of God. That does not
falsify the conclusion; it merely proves that nature needs to be
supplemented by revelation. But the main point is that nature, mind, God
etc. are all tied together, not sundered.

It seems to me, again speaking only personally, that the alternate view --
that nature is just this big blank machine that points nowhere and implies
nothing, and in a way, by its sheer silence, cuts us off from God, so that
we need faith to leap over nature to get to God -- is a modern, secularized
form of Manichean dualism. Within the Christian tradition the latter strand
of thought about nature has been found all the way along, and is especially
strong in some corners of Protestantism (and also in Catholic forms like
Jansenism which partake of the same spirit). But also there is the
tradition of Christian rational metaphysics in which nature, the mind and
God are all related in beautiful ways, and that's where I locate myself.

Precisely the fact that I don't feel the need to appeal to "faith" or to a
"world view" to infer design is just the result one would expect if God made
the world and man the way that I believe he made them. A rational agnostic
(e.g., Antony Flew) would incline toward the existence of a designer. For
that reason, I would say that Dawkins and Coyne are irrational in the
deepest sense of the word. And one of my objections to some forms of TE is
that they seem to endorse that irrationalism, by saying that the
interpretation of nature regarding design is entirely a matter of faith and
has nothing whatever to do with reason. That, in my view, gives away too
much to the atheists.

Cameron.