Re: [asa] BioLogos - Bad Theology?

From: Terry M.Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 22:52:49 EDT

The main thing I have to say here, Gregory, is "huh?"

1. I do think that our descriptions of creation get better. The
standard is creation itself. Whatever this has to do with "perfection
of humanity" I have no idea. And don't start lecturing me about Thomas
Kuhn and such. I know all about it. Even with such post-modern twists,
it's not unreasonable to say that our understanding is increasing.
This is not to say that we will ever have God's knowledge of creation,
in fact, I think it's clear that we won't.

2. FWIW, I'm not a Dooyeweerdian--I'm merely a sympathizer. I'm also
not convinced that modal distinctions can't be explained via
reductionistic sorts of arguments. For example, I'm not convinced that
the biological is not irreducible to the physical/chemical in
composition. However, once a living thing emerges, the biotic
creational laws come into play. I.e. there are unique biological laws
that only apply when you have living systems. Most secular philosopher
of biology agree. Similar arguments can be made at nearly every level
of Dooyeweerd's modal structure. Again, this is this underlying basis
for "the disciplines" in the academic world.

3. Not sure what you mean when you say I'm defending Ken Miller. I
defend him when I think he's right. I largely agree with him in his
defense of Darwinism, his critique of intelligent design, his belief
that faith and evolutionary science are compatible. I don't agree with
Ken Miller on many things, including the way he fits together the
faith / science story. I also wish he would mention in his critique of
Dawkins and the new atheists that is standing together with all other
creationists and "designists".

4. Of course, our understanding of evolution is "evolving". All
science is "evolving". As for whether Darwinism as a version of
evolutionary theory will be replaced. It's possible. Lamarckism was
the early 19th century version of evolutionary theory. It was replaced
by Darwinism. Perhaps the most fundamental mechanisms will be found to
be non-Darwinian. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows. This history
of science is full of surprises.

5. I will most certainly affirm that Darwinism, understood as a
biological theory saying nothing about the underlying relationship
with God's activity, is compatible with Christianity.

6. I'd be happy for a truce if the ID folks would stop saying that
evolutionary biology is fundamentally flawed and fundamentally at odds
with Christianity. How can we have a truce when folks like Cameron say
that those of us who don't think that evolutionary biology is
fundamentally flawed have taken our critical apparatus off in our
assessment of the current state of evolutionary theory? I don't want
to suggest that there's no place for disagreement or debate, but just
as the ID folks can't seem to understand why I don't have a problem, I
can't seem to understand why they do. I suspect that it's not just the
scientific evidence that's at work here.

TG