Re: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 06:28:51 EDT

Randy, I would gladly accept your apology, except that I am not sure that I
grant the premise that you owe me one. Sure, you were a little irritated by
my position, and it showed in a small way, but you weren't insulting, and
probably I came off as too confident in my position, or as personally
hostile to scientists, or something like that, so maybe I earned some
irritation on your part. If so, all I can say is that I will redouble my
efforts to argue strongly without arguing dismissively or arrogantly, and
that if I ever cross any line and insult you or anyone else here, you have
the right to challenge me on it, and if I'm wrong I'll try to learn better
manners.

You have summarized our differences well. I think that we can't get much
further at the moment. I will say that I think you and other scientists
have good, practical reasons for limiting "science" in the way that you do,
and that I'm not entirely unsympathetic with either your position or your
motives. And I'm not insisting that design inferences be classed as
"scientific". I'm merely raising doubts about the automatic exclusion of
design inferences from biological science. Certainly all science makes
intellectual judgments about nature which go beyond merely reporting on the
data; science
interprets. I am sure you would agree with that. The question is whether
"design" falls within the bounds of legitimate scientific interpretation.
I'm just trying to open your mind to the possibility that it might. Also,
many neo-Darwinists insist that the opposite of design -- chance -- falls
within the bounds of legitimate scientific interpretation for, say, the
origin of the first cell. It would be odd to accept inference A as part of
science, and then to exclude inference not-A.

On the other point, I grant you that we should all be willing to cut
evolutionary theory, and other scientific theories, some slack, in order to
allow for future, more detailed explanations. I'm only asking that the
scientific community be honest with the public about the skeletal nature of
evolutionary explanations so far. The public has been given the impression
that the details have been pretty well explained, with just a few "gaps"
left to be filled in, and this conjures up an image of a 100-story
skyscraper that's complete up to the 80th floor, lacking only the exterior
glass from the 81st to 90th floors, and still just girders and rivets only
on the upper ten floors, where the crew is busily working with impressive
skill and speed. I would argue that the true picture is something more like
our reconstruction of ancient Hittite or Indus Valley civilizations, where a
staggering dearth of written records and/or tangible remains prevents
historians from achieving a coherent account. (Or if this seems a bit
grudging, maybe a fairer parallel would be Aztec or Mycenean civilizations,
about which more is known. But certainly not fifth-century Athens, Imperial
Rome, or seventeenth-century Britain.)

Cameron.