Re: [asa] BioLogos - Bad Theology?

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 05:19:52 EDT

Terry:

Thanks very much for your reply, which is overwhelming in the number of
concerns it addresses, and goes beyond the limited discussion that I was
trying to engage you in. But I understand that passions run high in these
matters, and one topic quickly gets attached to another. :-)

1. On the probability thing: I don't believe that you are interpreting
Behe's *Edge* argument correctly, but I want to do some more research before
I insist on that, so let me leave that aside for now and come back to it in
a future post. However, whatever Behe may have said or meant, note that
*my* argument said nothing about mutations having to be simultaneous. In
fact, I was explicit that they were sequential, and I was assuming that the
mutations in question occurred hundreds, thousands, millions, tens of
millions of years apart. The point is that a probability theorist has the
right to inquire into the probability of the sequence, just as he has the
right to inquire into the probability of the sequence HTTHHTTHTHTH. You
seem to be denying that it is ever legitimate even to wish to calculate that
probability, and I think that probability theorists simply would not agree
with you.

I can imagine a sequence of events in my life which would raise all kinds of
alarm bells even though the individual events occurred years apart. Suppose
that every time I drove into New York State, I got a flat tire within a mile
of crossing the border. Suppose that it happened once in 1979, twice in
1981, three times in 1983, twice in 1985, and once each in 1990, 1996, 2000,
2001, 2003, and 2005. Further, suppose that I never got a flat tire
anywhere else during the same period. And further, suppose that the cars
which crossed the border both ahead of me and behind me, including many that
used the same brand of tire, never got flat tires on any of those occasions.
The probability theorist, if asked what the probability was of my getting a
flat tire on exactly that sequence of occasions, would calculate it as the
product of the probabilities of the individual events. And when the very
low probability number emerged, let's say (1/100)^14, I would be rationally
justified in inferring that someone (human, alien, divine, demonic, a
leprechaun, a gremlin) had "intelligently designed" my sequence of flat
tires. So, analogously, it doesn't matter whether the mutations occurred
simultaneously or over time; there is still the question why evolution has
the apparent directionality that it does. There is no reason why the
mutations should so conveniently build one upon the other, if the process as
a whole is directed as Dawkins says it is (i.e., not directed at all).

Yes, I know there is the possibility of exaptation and so on. But such
explanations are usually ad hoc and very limited in power. Ken Miller has
provided one -- exactly one -- possible useful intermediate for the
bacterial flagellum. Where are all the other intermediates, and what
functions did *they* serve? Ken Miller has nothing to say. They may have
existed; but we have no way of knowing that they did. And even if we could
dream up some imaginary organelles in a graduated sequence, running from
plain bacteria through the Type III secretory system through to the
flagellum, and could fantasize environmental conditions in which each of
these organelles would provide a selective advantage, there would still be a
requirement on the evolutionary theorists' part to show what alterations in
the bacterial DNA/protein machinery would be required to produce all of
these intermediate, functioning organelles. A tall order indeed -- with
nothing to show for it yet. Yet both atheist Darwinists and TE Darwinists
shout loudly that Ken Miller has "refuted" Behe's argument by citing the
Type III secretory system. Miller has done nothing of the sort. He has
provided the equivalent of one island, thirty miles from shore and twenty
miles from the next mainland; he has not provided a chain of islands capable
of being crossed by a swimmer who can do only a mile at a time. His
argument is just plain weak. And this is an example of what I mean by
evolutionary biologists resting satisfied with very sketchy and inadequate
accounts of the nitty-gritty details. Darwinian "explanations" rarely get
further than Ken Miller's does. Or if they do, I haven't seen it.

As for your example of your own particular genetic makeup, I think you will
find that such arguments are dealt with in Dembski's various writings,
including *No Free Lunch*. He doesn't use your particular example, but I
think his remarks about drawing the bullseye around the arrow after it has
hit the tree are probably relevant to it.

Please bear in mind that I am not arguing that design has been proved in any
particular case. Nor am I even arguing that design inferences are
"scientific", though I am suspicious of the view of many that they must
automatically be excluded from the realm of science. I am arguing only that
it is entirely reasonable for a scientifically-trained person to look at a
sequence of mutations which just happens to produce a series of wholly
functional intermediates en route to completely transforming a wolf into a
whale, and to be *very* suspicious that Darwinian mechanisms alone can
account for that sequence. Even if one does not make the move to "design"
based on that suspicion, the suspicion itself is wholly in keeping with the
spirit of the skeptical scientific mind, and I do not know why so many
people here are lacking in such suspicion.

2. On theology: I have no clear conception of how God guides, steers, or
plans evolutionary change. However, I have no objection to "continuous
meddling", as you put it. The Bible depicts God and nature as being
mutually responsive (as my doctoral dissertation and first book purported to
show), and "continuous meddling" would fit that picture better than a "stop
and start" model which is Deistic most of the time, with dramatic miracles
thrown in a few times for special purposes. Of course, Ted and George would
want that "continuous meddling" to be invisible rather than of the
parting-of-the-Red-Sea sort, and that would be fine with me, too. But I
would also insist that there is no conflict in principle between "continuous
meddling" and a design inference. A God who continuously meddles might well
leave a "design trail", and that, for me, is a question best addressed by
the empirical evidence found in Creation, not pronounced upon on a priori
theological grounds.

3. On your comments about the internal problems you and others have with ID
people, I cannot easily comment. As I stated when I joined, I come from a
land and an environment where the whole YEC-OEC-ID-TE tango strikes most
people as bizarre. Canadians just don't wrangle about the Bible,
creationism, etc. the way Americans do. They *never* did, even back when
Canada was a much more religious country than it is now. (At one point, in
the 1950s, Church attendance in Canada was higher than in the United States,
and there was hardly a Genesis literalist to be seen). I find a lot of the
historical background that is animating many of the players to be culturally
alien, and irrational. It looks very much like a bitter intra-family
Protestant evangelical feud, and I have a hard time to know what to say
about it.

I will say this: I have seen a leading TE proponent siding with an atheist
Darwinist, angrily attacking Behe, on national television. Your claim that
the TEs are willing, but the ID people won't have them, is hard to square
with that fact. If Behe is being tag-teamed by an atheist and a TE, it is
hard to put the blame on the ID people for not trying to build a "common
front" against atheism. And when Ken Miller, in his first book, scorns ID
more visibly than he scorns atheist Darwinism (he criticizes both, but his
criticism of Dawkins is notably more polite than his criticism of ID), and
when Collins makes sure to include a chapter against ID in his first book,
and writes an endorsement for Ken Miller's second book (which repeats
Miller's ID-bashing), and when TE Denis Alexander in Britain takes definite
swipes at ID, the notion that TE is quite willing to build a "common front"
with ID against atheism is quite unsustainable. I believe that desire for a
common front exists in Ted Davis; it may exist also in Polkinghorne and/or
Gingerich (I don't know the thought of either of them very well); it is not
true of the big-name popular-writer TEs, and it does not appear to be true
of most of the contributors to the PEC book or of many of the TEs who post
here. TE seems to be characterized by a dislike of ID almost as strong as
its dislike of YEC, and almost as strong as its dislike of atheist
Darwinism. With this kind of attitude being projected by TEs, a common
front is unlikely. (And yes, you can go on about real or alleged past
offenses of Bill Dembski or Phil Johnson, but the point is that people must
learn to rise above the past. If they can do it in Northern Ireland, they
should be able to do it in the American evangelical world. But sometimes I
think that the internal bitterness of the American evangelical world makes
Northern Ireland look like a Sunday School picnic.)

4. ID proper does not pit design against evolution. That may have been the
case in 1994, but it certainly isn't the case now, at least, not among the
leading ID theorists. (And it was never the case for Behe.) Dembski, in an
important passage in *No Free Lunch*, acknowledges the compatibility of
fully naturalistic evolution with design theory. And ID more and more
attracts engineers, computer scientists, life scientists, etc. who are not
from the fundamentalist Christian world, and who have no anti-evolutionary
baggage. The emphasis within ID now, among those who are going to be its
future leading theorists, is not "design instead of evolution", but rather
"design in addition to chance and natural laws as the explanation for
evolution". One can see this in the work of Michael Denton, who has
distanced himself entirely from the evangelical Christian context, and aims
his arguments not at conservative church people but at a broader religious
and secular audience which accepts macroevolution as a fact.

(P.S. I am not stating in an unqualified way that macroevolution is a fact;
I am merely saying that, if it is a fact, ID as such is not threatened by
that, in the way that YEC is. This is why new fossil discoveries such as
Tiktaalik are non-threatening to many ID proponents, who have no objection
to evolution as such. Their attitude is mine: if macroevolution is true,
of course we can expect discoveries such as Tiktaalik; now tell me exactly
how Tiktaalik was produced via Darwinian mechanisms, and how it was
subsequently transformed by Darwinian mechanisms.)

Finally, in answer to your question:

> So, Cameron, a question for you is this: what is the proper response to
> Dawkins? Should we be trying to defeat his science? Or should we be
> pointing out the illegitimate use of science in the defense of atheism?

The proper response to Dawkins and to all Darwinists (neo-Darwinists, etc.),
is to point out to the world how sketchy and lacking in detail the "science"
is, and how much the "scientific argument" usually boils down to "actually,
we have almost no clue how this happened, but one thing we are sure about is
that it must have happened naturalistically".

In my view, there is no point whatsoever in adjusting Christian theology to
a "science" which is theoretically unclear, sketchy on detailed mechanisms,
and based on our woefully incomplete understanding of biology. On the last
point, we don't even know how a mammalian body is formed in the womb, in
anywhere near adequate detail, and we don't know what 90% of the DNA is for;
yet evolutionary biologists feel no hesitation in offering uncontrolled
speculations about hypothetical evolutionary pathways in the pre-Cambrian,
involving hypothetical ancestors whose character is not known, a
pre-Cambrian ocean whose ecology is not understood, and scraps of fossils
from which no DNA can be retrieved. If ID has done nothing else of value in
the world, it has been of value in drawing public attention to the loose and
irresponsible character of many of the speculations of Darwinists. For the
defects of Darwinian theory are not mere "gaps" in explanation; the defects
are more glaring than that. Darwinism is great at cranking out books on
"big concepts" -- drift, neutral theory, selfish genes, sociobiology, random
mutation, selection, etc. -- but is very weak on the mechanical details of
the alleged transformations, and has been very weak on such details since
the days of Darwin. The secular public, which worships Darwinism as its
creation narrative, needs to hear that; and the Christian public, many of
whom think that Darwinism must somehow be synthesized with Genesis, needs to
hear that.

You know, Dinesh d'Souza, in his latest book, reports that two-thirds of the
physicists in the world supported the Steady State theory as late as 1959.
So was it the obligation of thoughtful scientific Christians in the 1950s to
adjust the Christian doctrine of creation to the Steady State Theory? If
not, then why is it the obligation of Christians to adjust Christian
theology to neo-Darwinism, especially when, if certain current indications
presage the future -- e.g., Denton, Sternberg, Kaufmann -- Darwinism may be
in deep trouble very soon, just as the Steady State theory was in deep
trouble when the cosmic background radiation of the Big Bang was detected?

Of course, nothing I have said is aimed at "evolution". It is all aimed at
"Darwinism". The theoretical barrier between ID and TE is not "evolution".
It is Darwinism. From ID's perspective, TE says to Dawkins and Coyne: "You
are 100% right about the Darwinian mechanisms of evolution, but you are
wrong to infer from that the non-existence of God." ID says that this is
too generous a stance. ID says that Dawkins and Coyne are not 100% right
about the Darwinian mechanisms of evolution. It says that they are
substantially wrong about those mechanisms, or at least, that their case for
the power of those mechanisms is much, much weaker than they are letting on
to the general public.

So ID is not asking TE to surrender "evolution". ID is only asking TE to
refrain from making the complete correctness of Darwinian mechanisms -- and
more generally, the complete adequacy of chance plus natural laws -- an
essential component of evolutionary theory. Behe is an example of an ID
person who fully embraces the TE idea that God guides or plans evolution,
while rejecting or severely qualifying the explanatory ability of the
Darwinian mechanisms. I think that if Behe and Ted Davis sat down together,
they would agree on pretty nearly everything except whether design detection
is "science" or merely "science-informed philosophy". But if Behe and Ken
Miller sat down together, they would disagree on very many central issues.
What I am saying is that if TE follows the path of Ted Davis, there can be a
partial overlap between ID and TE (excluding some ID people and some TE
people at the extremes), and a common front can be built. But if TE follows
the path of Miller and Ayala, there is no hope for a common front, and ID
and TE will continue to shoot each other in the foot while Dawkins and Coyne
look on in a combination of bewilderment and delight.

Cameron.