Re: [asa] BioLogos - Bad Theology?

From: Terry M.Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Fri May 29 2009 - 02:22:26 EDT

This is an interesting question. I think most of the time in science
"chance" is spoken of as the cause when the cause is unknown (or
undeterminable) but is "predictable" on the basis of some statistical
probability distribution. For example, I think it's possible to argue
for a somewhat classical determinism in coin flipping. If we knew all
the initial conditions, forces, etc., we could predict the outcome. We
can also predict the outcome statistically because coin flipping
results in a rather predictable overall outcome.

Of course, statistical descriptions don't predict a given particular
result. We can predict quite confidently the number of mutants that
will result from the treatment of a population of bacteria with some
mutagen, but we can't predict which particular cell will experience
which mutation in which gene.

Contingency of history is another kind of chance, although I'm not
sure it's really different. We can talk about the probabilities of
meteor strikes that might cause widespread environmental havoc. If we
knew all the sources of meteors and factors affecting there possible
encounter with earth we might even be able to predict (although we
have a serious many body problem here). But that there would be a
meteor impact at a particular time in evolutionary history that would
lead to the demise of the dinosaurs and the rise of mammals (or
however the current theory goes) is a "chance" event. Gould's A
Wonderful Life is an interesting read here.

I like to attribute unexplained computer problems and crashes to
cosmic rays. Deterministic in one sense, well, as much as the
production of cosmic rays might be deterministic.

Quantum mechanics may be a different story here.

TG