[asa] Re: chance (formerrly BioLogos - Bad Theology?)

From: Schwarzwald <schwarzwald@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 22:15:49 EDT

Let me hone in on this my question a little more.

Evolutionary theory is often oversimplified to this: Random mutation and
natural selection.

So my question would be: What does the modifier of 'random' add to the
theory that 'mutation' alone does not cover? What does the modifier of
'natural' add that 'selection' alone does not convey? Particularly, what do
these words add to the science in question?

Mind you, I've heard of various explanations of these things in the past -
perhaps some will come up here, and I can respond to them. But this is a
pretty fundamental question for me on this topic, and one I (again, as a
layman) haven't been satisfied with the answers I've received.