Re: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 16:43:17 EDT

Hi Randy,

I can,t speak for Cameron, but let me take a crack at explaining where I see the differing views coming from. You make two points, 1) and 2).

In 1) you are speaking of <the theory of evolution> while Cameron is speaking about <Darwinian evolution> specifically, that it has flaws or weaknesses or doesn,t provide the best explanation of the evidence, etc. In other words, you feel there is <only one> <theory of evolution> while others speak of either more than one, e.g. as the general Vatican Science position says <evolutionary theories>, or they distinguish in particular which <evolutionary theory> they are referring to. Since you don,t name Darwin or <Darwinism> or <Darwinian evolution> in your post, it is difficult to dialogue with Cameron who does.

Let me add an analogy: the other day I was speaking with a western Marxist (yes, they still do exist folks) about why he called himself a Marxist and instead why not a neo-Marxist. The point was that he accepted certain flaws in Marx's theory, e.g. I pointed out the over-emphasis on the economic sphere as a determinant of other spheres. He agreed with this (though it took some wheeling to get there). I then suggested that it only made sense to call himself a neo-Marxist because he was attempting to improve upon Marx's ideas, to take them in another direction or spread them in a new context, so to speak. Yet he resisted this and insisted taking upon himself the <Marxist> label because he felt that Marx would have ammended his theories given emerging conditions. In other words, he felt that Marx's ideas outlived the man and that just because a few aspects of Marxian theory are not acceptable today (even in his view) this was not reason enough to
 discard the entire Marxist paradigm or Marxian perspective. He wouldn,t let go of Marx.

A similar view can be taken with Darwin (e.g. M.R.). When will biologists or geologists or ecologists *drop* the term <Darwinian> or <Darwinist> from their vocabularies? It will surely happen someday for each person as a scientist when a new idea, discovery or paradigm comes along with a newly attached name. We hear such things as a <Darwinist lobby> coming from the IDM and Darwinists are labelled as <brown coats> for <secular humanism>, agnosticism or even atheism. There is a great stigma attached to Darwin,s name. Yet, just as Marx has been superceded in many respects, what still exists are labour theories of value, recognition of the alienation of workers from (ownership of) the means of production, class theories that focus on conflict, criticisms of capitalism as (sometimes) an explotative ideology rather than the only reasonable economic system worldwide, calls for emancipation (or liberation, eg. liberation theology is heavily influenced by
 Marx) of the underprivileged or marginalised, etc. that continue to flourish without the label <Marxist>. The ideas continue, the <originator> disappears. When will this happen with <Darwinism> or <Darwinian evolution> too?

I think you mistake Cameron,s views, Randy, if and when you suggest that they are anti-evolutionary. I am an anti-evolutionist (or better, non-evolutionist or post-evolutionist) in the human-social sciences (but not in the natural-physical sciences) and also in several ways anti-Darwinian. But the point for me is moving beyond the weaknesses, errors and shortcomings and forward to better ideas, than Marx or Darwin or Comte or Weber, et al. once contributed. In other words, I am interested in moving the <science> or <academic discipline> forward by taking past ideas and applying or combining new vocabularies for a new time. It seems to me that Cameron is a fellow who would defend valued traditions (eg. by mining the wealth of pre-modern theology and religious studies) while seeking a way forward into a new world that Darwin didn,t know, i.e. the world of information and the electronic age in which the term <design> jumps out at you like (as that
 great French rationalist, taken in by a young America once said) <common sense>.

<For last year,s words belong to last year,s language and next year,s words await another voice.> - T.S. Eliot

 cost of free will and decision-making, but I digress...

Everyone who is reading this message can look around the room they are sitting in at artefacts that are <designed> or <constructed>, etc. by human beings. We know the agent and the methodology, as you say. I am glad you,ve chosen the term <methodology> rather than <mechanism> too.

<When neither the agent nor the methodology are known, then I would suggest that science cannot determine that there is, in fact, design.> - Randy

I think this admission would be welcomed by IDists - <science> can detect <design>. And of course then they want to go further and suggest that it can detect types of design that for you disqualify their methods as <unscientific> or beyond the realm of <science proper.>

Gregory