Re: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 09:07:17 EDT

Carmeron:

It is not only evolutionary theory, but all science that is presented
as if it is a final, glorious piece of work, engraved in granite from
the very depths of some Platonic heaven. The messy part of science,
where humans fear to tread, is unheard of at all levels of science
education.

But perhaps we ought to be fair to science. At what stage in our
education was content material presented as fallible, and open to
criticism. I'd say that such an attitude is nonexistent in high school
for any course. After all, the students are still considered children.
In college this is rarely found. It is only in graduate school that
material begins to be examined critically. In the sciences this doesn't
appear to happen until the PhD level.

It may be that a critical attitude is dependent in part upon when it is
possible for students to progress beyond what is called the grammar
stage, wherein the primary activity is memorization. Because the amount
of content in the sciences is massive, most students never advance
beyond the grammar stage. In the humanities and arts it seems that the
content level is sufficiently low that students can advance beyond the
grammar level relatively quickly. This would be true it seems in
English, political science, and philosophy.

There are three stages, as I remember it, in classical education:
grammar, logic, and rhetoric. In grammar we learn the building blocks; in
the logic how they go together; and in the rhetoric there is the
integrative and critical stage. Formal education in America hardly ever
gets to the last stage. It is primarily in informal education and the
maturing of our lives that the last stage is addressed. Although our
education system makes a lot of noise about developing critical thinking,
I see hardly any being done. At best we lay the groundwork for it. I
don't think it fits well into our structured educational system.
Teachers, for the most part, don't know what to do in the critical stage,
and what to teach. It doesn't fit our industrial model. It is not easily
tested or graded. We can't tell when were progressing. It takes too much
time. It isn't linear and progressive.

bill