Re: [asa] BioLogos - Bad Theology?

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu May 28 2009 - 01:44:51 EDT

Terry:

Thank your for your thoughtful reply. I cannot do justice to all the ideas
expressed in it, and so will pick out a few.

1. It's my understanding that at least a couple of people here, namely Ted
Davis and George Murphy, would agree with you
"that an event can be seemingly by chance, yet still be under God's control
and determination". I think they would explain this in terms of quantum
indeterminacy, i.e., that since there is indeterminacy within the laws of
nature, there would be no apparent violation of those laws in the minute
changes by which God might guide evolution. God's interventions would be
indistinguishable from chance events.

2. This might well be the way things work; I have no objection to the
notion that God guides evolution, and if he has to be "snuck in" somewhere
so as to guide evolution without flagrantly upsetting the normal paths of
nature, I suppose "quantum indeterminacy" is as good a way as any.

3. However, I think that in practice, we never are in the position of
witnessing evolutionary "events" as single items. Rather, we look at a
string of fossil finds from which we infer a string of evolutionary events
stretching over thousands or millions or tens of millions of years. In this
situation, the question whether a given mutation was caused by God or chance
is not really a useful question. It is the overall direction of a series of
mutations that is important.

4. So for example, let's say science could determine what it is currently
nowhere near able to determine, e.g., that it would take 1,000 mutations to
turn a lizard into a bird, with those mutations having to occur in a certain
sequence in order for each of the intermediate forms to be viable in terms
of natural selection. And let's say that George and Ted are right in their
claim that, even if we had a time machine and could bring the live specimens
to our era, so that we had them in front of us at exactly the point at which
the mutations occurred, science could say nothing about the ultimate cause
of any of those 1,000 individual mutations. We could not therefore tell
whether God or chance was responsible for any of them. Yet the question
still arises: can the *sequence* tell us something that any individual
mutation cannot?

5. Here is where intelligent design comes in. From an ID point of view,
while any single mutation has a relatively large probability, the sequence
as a whole has an extremely small probability. So, while the probability of
a mutation affecting the iris or the lung etc. cannot help us to decide
between God and chance, the probability that a certain mutation affecting
the iris would be followed by a certain mutation affecting the lung, and
that these two mutations would be followed by a certain mutation affecting
the brain centres that control the iris and the lung, and that all of these
would be followed by a certain mutation affecting the development of
feathers and then followed by another mutation which enabled the brain to
co-ordinate the proto-feathers with other parts of the organism, etc. --
that combined probability might help us to decide between God or chance.
(If you substitute alien biologists for God, the reasoning is the same, so
one could generalize that to "intelligence or chance". But since we are
usually discussing Christian theology here, I'll use "God".)

6. If you treat each of the mutations as independent events, as
neo-Darwinism generally does, then a thousand-step string of mutations would
of course have a very low probability. Let's say you come up with a figure
of 1 in 10^200 for the probability of the string. Then let's say that there
might be 100 possible alternate sequences, of roughly equal probability with
the first, that could have turned a lizard into a bird in a way compatible
with natural selection requirements. The 100 possible sequences, 10^2, are
a drop in the bucket, reducing the colossal number by only a tiny amount.
So you still have an incredibly improbable event. And from this the design
inference proceeds.

7. The main point I am trying to make here is not about how ID
argumentation works, which I'm sure you know already. Nor is my point to
prove that design inferences are "scientific", or that design inferences are
sound. The point I am making is a theological one, i.e., that the validity
or invalidity of design inferences is a separate question from the question
of how God acts to guide evolution. One could believe that God guides
evolution exactly as Ted Davis and George Murphy have postulated, i.e., one
could be a theistic evolutionist; yet one could still argue for the validity
of the design inference. That is, one could be a TE and an ID proponent at
the same time. TE and ID are not mutually exclusive positions.

8. Of course, individual versions of TE and individual versions of ID might
clash; that we all know from experience. But there is nothing inherent in
the definitions of TE (as defined the other day by Ted Davis) and ID
(understood as a theory of design detection) that prevents them from being
combined. Indeed, I am not sure how to describe Michael Behe's position
other than as a combination of ID and TE.

Terry, would you agree with my line of thought thus far?

As for your historical point about American thinkers, I am hesitant to talk
about authors I haven't read, such as Asa Gray, Hodge, etc. Ted would be
the better person to comment on your remarks there.

I agree with you that Calvinist theology in some respects does better
justice to parts of the Bible than do some other theologies, but I want to
reserve a lengthy discussion of Calvinism for later. For now, I have some
questions for you about Calvin's theology. Do you know where the passage is
in which Calvin called Lucretius a "dog" or "filthy dog"? I would be
interested in reading the context, if there is any, for Calvin's remark.
Darwinism is in many ways a modern form of Lucretian thinking, translated
into the biological idiom, and Calvin's comments on Lucretius (or other
Epicureans) might give us an idea how he would have reacted to Darwin. Also
I would be interested in references to other passages where Calvin speaks
directly about nature, natural laws, etc. Also if he makes any references
to Islamic occasionalist doctrines, and distinguishes his account of God's
action and of nature from that of those Islamic theologians.

Cameron.