RE: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 20:33:15 EDT

Don,
You raise an important question that goes to the meaning of what is physical. Of all the concepts needed to know and understand the whole of reality, I think the term “physical” ought to be the easiest to define unambiguously. If we cannot do that with the term “physical,” I do not think we can accurately define any relevant term needed in order to study the whole of reality. No matter how “spooky” quantum mechanics may be, it is still a physical description of Nature thus not relevant to the nonphysical and the supernatural, which are outside of the domain of the physical. Note that the operational definition of physical is that which interacts with the purely physical. Therefore, whatever does not interact with the purely physical is in the realm of the nonphysical/supernatural.
Moorad