[asa] The Theocracy is Coming! [again]

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 11:54:37 EDT

Jerry Coyne sounds the alarm and throws down the gauntlet. Smell the threatiness:

"Well, we thought we'd seen the last of the theocracy of George W. Bush, but it apparently ain't so. The Scientist reports (and this has been the buzz for weeks), that born-again Christian and BioLogos Foundation director Francis Collins is likely to be named as head of the National Institutes of Health

[.]

I am funded by the NIH, and I'm worried. Not about my own funding (although I'm a heathen cultural Jew), but about how this will affect things like stem-cell research and its funding.

[.]

We are just recovering from the theocracy of G. W. Bush, and I was happy that federally-funded stem-cell research was allowed to go ahead. Now what will happen?

[.]

Collins may indeed be a good administrator, but this appointment is a mistake. At the very least, Collins must remove himself as director of the BioLogos foundation, as holding both posts would represent an unwanted incursion of religion into the public sphere. I call for him to resign from BioLogos if he's appointed as head of the NIH. (That, of course, has the attendant benefit of putting the ever-amusing Karl Giberson in charge of BioLogos!)"

http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2009/05/27/collins-may-be-nih-director/