Re: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed May 27 2009 - 00:09:24 EDT

Randy:

I make three points:

1. I have no objection to your point about natural intelligence four
billion years ago (though aliens are always a possibility), but let me
restate. Can "science" claim to *know* that the first cell could have
arisen via random chemical evolution? And if it does claim to *know* that
this is possible, does it not have to provide the world with the basis of
its claim to know, i.e., with some plausible stages, and potential tests for
them? And if it cannot be *sure* that such a chemical evolution is
possible, because it is not even close to being able to give plausible
stages, how can it rule out the logical alternative, i.e., that the assembly
of the first cell required design?

What I am driving at, Randy, is that I suspect that you are ruling out
design inferences from science *a priori*. I think you are saying that
design inferences are banned in principle from science, and therefore that
ID theorists could discover ever more complex layers of integration in
biological systems, jacking up the improbability of chance formations to
ever more astronomical numbers, to the point where no sane human being could
believe that such systems could have formed by chance, and it would *never*
make any difference to you: no set of empirical facts could ever justify a
design inference. If that is what you are saying, I wish you would say it
directly. And if that is *not* what you are saying, then tell me why the
design explanation for the first cell should not be raised in science class
in the same breath as the accidental chemical evolution explanation.

2. Randy, I am glad to hear that you are a world-class physicist, and I
salute you for achievement in your field. But you are not a biologist or
biochemist or even a geologist, and we are talking about a theory in the
life sciences here. I asked you for the basis of your confidence in
evolutionary theory, whether it came from first-hand study of evolutionary
theory that you have done yourself, or whether you took the solidity of
evolutionary theory on the strength of recommendations from colleagues in
the life sciences. I also asked you why there was such a dearth of books on
macroevolution of the type specified.

By way of answer, you launched into what appears to be a long sermon on what
makes for a good scientific theory, informing me of things I have known for
years (I could have written your post myself quite easily). You did not
answer my main question, i.e., about the reason for the absence of books on
macroevolution, books of the technical sort that I specified.

Note that I did *not* argue that because there are a few pieces of the
evolutionary puzzle missing, the whole theory should be scrapped. And note
that I did *not* argue (as the ID proponent in your little dialogue argued)
that a theoretically consistent, empirically sound hypothetical path was of
no value, and that the actual historical path must be provided. I argued
that scientists must provide *positive evidence for* their theories, not
simply sit back and demand that the world must disprove them. And I argued
that if macroevolution is a sound theory, there should be lots of books
containing lots of evidence for it. (And of course I assume that you have
been listening to my posts and know that I am not talking about the *fact*
of macroevolution but about the *mechanism*. Tiktaalik is more evidence for
the *fact*; it explains nothing about the *mechanism*.)

So the question is why there are no books explaining how fish became
amphibians, in a detailed way -- *how* did fins become feet (identify the
genetic and developmental mechanisms, please), and what good would feet be
if the fish hadn't yet developed lungs to breathe in the air, and so how
then did lungs develop (identify the genetic and physiological details), and
what natural tendency is there in the genome for gills/lungs and fins/feet
to evolve at the just the same time that they need each other, etc. I would
expect that any scientist who asks the world to believe that Darwinian
mechanisms can explain all this would provide at least some of the details.
Not all of the details. Not even the majority of the details. Just some of
the details. In the case of fish to amphibian, even *some* of the genetic,
developmental, environmental, physiological, etc. details would fill dozens
of 500-page books. I'm asking you to direct me to one (preferably several)
of those books. If you don't know of any, because biology is not your
field, I will not press you on it. But I will ask you: in the absence of
having seen those books, why do you believe the mechanism is so sound? Why
aren't you more skeptical?

You are a physicist; if there were no books with any detailed mathematical
treatment of celestial mechanics available in any library in the world, but
scientists asserted that it was the most unshakeable of facts that
mathematical laws govern the orbits of the planets, wouldn't you be
suspicious of the claim? Wouldn't you wonder why the scientists couldn't
put some flesh on the bones of their theory, and explain something specific,
e.g., the orbit of Mars, in terms of it?

3. Finally, you wrote:

CW >> Where is the celebrated scientific skepticism about grand
>> speculative claims? Where is the demand for details, for quantification,
>> for precise mechanisms, all of which are hallmarks of good science? Why
>> does Darwinism get away with so little questioning, when its detailed
>> explanatory power is so very limited?

RI >> Very simple. Because the scientists are doing science the way it
should be
> done.

I would ask you to re-read this exchange. Scientists are doing science "the
way it should be done" when they do not demand "details... quantification...
precise mechanisms" to accompany "grand speculative claims"? Scientists are
doing science "the way it should be done" when they accept "with so little
questioning" a theory whose "detailed explanatory power" is "very limited"?
That's how science "should be done"?

Randy, you are making the big mistake of thinking that you are defending the
honour of "science" by defending the claims made by evolutionary biologists
for the efficacy of Darwinian mechanisms. I agree with you that "science"
is a noble human project with great accomplishments to its credit. But
"science" is not at stake if one particular scientific theory is criticized.
It is not even at stake if a particular scientific theory falls. If
macroevolutionary theory were disproved tomorrow, 99% of scientific research
in all fields would go on as if nothing had happened. The only science that
would utterly cease functioning is the narrow field of evolutionary biology,
and of course paleontology would have to reinterpret all its data. But
gene-splicing and genome sequencing and medical research and freshwater
toxicology and hundreds of other life-science fields would go on much as
before, as would physics, chemistry, astronomy, etc. The outraged defense
of "science" by neo-Darwinists and their allies simply makes no sense. No
one screams that "science" itself is at stake when someone criticizes the
views of Stephen Hawking, or Linus Pauling. It is only when Darwinism is
questioned that this abnormal, unnatural degree of defensive rage is
generated. Why on earth is this? Why are Darwinists so touchy? My view is
that if you can't take criticism of your theory, you have no business being
in science. (Or being in philosophy or theology or history for that
matter.) I think that the Darwinists are the biggest crybabies in the
contemporary academic world.

Cameron.