Re: [asa] Fossil Discovery Is Heralded

From: David Campbell <>
Date: Tue May 26 2009 - 15:04:22 EDT

>> Now if the fossil had been found in 10000 year old glacial till or in the
>> Cambrian then "evolution" would be wrong

If it was found in younger deposits, that's no problem-forms retaining
ancestral conditions can survive after new types arise. There might
be a problem if a very good fossil record only showed the supposed
ancestor more recent than some of the supposed descendants, but
primates have a bad habit of living in trees and falling apart after
death instead of burrowing into the bottom of shallow oceans and
having only one or two shells, a much better way to have a good fossil

A mammal turning up in the Cambrian would be problematic for
evolution. Although it would not prove that everything else didn't
evolve, we might start speculating about a lost alien pet or the like
in the particular case (or misdated rocks, like the "Carboniferous"
Physa snail that turned out to be Cretaceous.)

Dr. David Campbell
425 Scientific Collections
University of Alabama
To unsubscribe, send a message to with