Re: [asa] Musing on entropy, chaos, and omniscience

From: dfsiemensjr <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 14:43:47 EDT

There seems to be a problem with /nihilo/ or nothing. /Creatio ex nihilo/
indicates that what now is was not. I was going to write "once was not"
but that suggests more strongly that there was a time before, which
cannot be the case. We are so much creatures of time that we cannot
comprehend that creation initiated time, space, matter and energy. Our
language does not deal well with the concept of an absolute beginning.
The ancients were equally involved in such thought and tended to hold
that nothing or chaos was a thing from which things were organized or
made. Jim, I note that you have God tinkering in a pretime time, trying
things out. One can read John 1:1, "In the beginning was ..." that way,
but most exegetes do not consider this the intent.
Dave (ASA)

On Mon, 25 May 2009 10:38:54 -0700 Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>