RE: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 12:07:51 EDT

Dave,

I think the term "natural" is equivocal. Witness the endless discussions on this list on how to characterize that term. On the other hand, physical is much less equivocal. If something cannot be detected by purely physical devises, then that entity is not physical, therefore, nonphysical/supernatural. For instance, the number pi, is nonphysical--there is no exact, physical representation of it. I think to say that pi is non-natural or unnatural does not ring right since it is not clear what natural means.

The study of man in anthropology and physiology involves all three aspects of Nature. The supernatural ought not to be avoided in such studies. Chimpanzee and dog behavior can be studied by describing the physical aspect of such living animals, just like we do humans; however, the nonphysical description is probably difficult since we cannot communicate with such living beings.

Moorad