RE: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: Alexanian, Moorad <alexanian@uncw.edu>
Date: Mon May 25 2009 - 10:37:50 EDT

Gregory,
I consider the whole of reality to be physical/nonphysical/supernatural. One cannot get more broadminded than that. Witness neuroscience, experimental biology, etc. where the attempt of objectivity forces them to study the physical aspect of the object of their interest. All sorts of measurements in neuroscience, study of genetic coding, DNA, etc. in experimental biology. The nonphysical encompasses much. In fact, all our thoughts, concepts and theories we develop are nonphysical. Over and above that, there is the supernatural, of which the simplest parts are in Nature, in us human being for instance. However, the most important aspect of the supernatural surpasses Nature and brings in the notion of the Creator. This is not reductionism, quite the contrary. Reductionism is when science is, as I have defined it, claimed to be the only way we have of knowing, which is false. It is when science is not defined by its subject matter that one runs into all sorts of confusions and!
  so the there is no limitations of what is accessible to science inquiry and so science is considered to encompass the whole of reality, which I certainly object to.
Moorad
Here is what I wrote in the American Physical Society News on May 2001 (Volume 10, Number 5)<http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200105/>
http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200105/letters.cfm
Adrian L. Melott's letter in the March APS News<http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200103/letters.cfm> is replete with misrepresentations of my January letter. Big Bang cosmology is the precursor to the evolution of the life itself. Linked invariably with the question of the origin of man, it is hard to understand how a cosmological theory developed by man can ever explain the very existence of man. Theories propounded by man, even the elusive TOE, cannot bring anything into being and only a Creator can do that-even quantum vacuum fluctuations do not bring the vacuum into being! I am an evangelical Armenian who believes that man was created in the image of God and thus has the ability to "detect" God in a more convincing fashion than we have in inferring the reality of, say, the microworld. Our belief that "Man shall not live on bread alone" surpasses all scientific knowledge and lies at the very foundation of the humanity of man. Our purpose for doing science and readi!
 ng Scripture is to reconcile in man scientific knowledge with revealed truths.
Moorad Alexanian
UNC at Wilmington