Re: [asa] Musing on entropy, chaos, and omniscience

From: wjp <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Sun May 24 2009 - 20:46:49 EDT

Allow me to draw an interesting parallel.

The nature of light has long been a mystery.
Some have considered a particle (corpuscle), others
a wave of the ethereal medium.

It was inconceivable to early scientists that a particle
could be massless, yet light appeared to be emitted without
the emitting body losing any mass (e.g., the sun).

Consider what we call an atom today. An electron falls from a
higher energy level to a lower one, emits a photon, without any
change in mass.

How is this possible? Simple. We simply declare the photon to
be a massless particle. Nonetheless, a photon still is a carrier
of momentum and energy, all of which would have been inconceivable
to an early "mechanistic" science.

So while the energy of the atom has decreased, the mass has not.

If mass can so easily change character, why not energy?

Moreover, I don't know who Kim thinks is checking on the mass-energy
conservation of the universe, but it ain't anyone I know.

Galaxies could be being added to the universe daily, and I don't think
we could detect it.

bill