Re: [asa] Natural Agents - Cause and Effect, Non-Natural Agents

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 18:40:32 EDT

I thank Keith Miller for his reply. I understand that he cannot undertake to continue the conversation; however, others might wish to. I will offer a few rejoinders.

1. First, I cannot think of a major ID proponent who has argued that "prayer studies" are good science (or good theology for that matter). I wish Keith Miller would name names here. If I may use myself as an example, I'm sympathetic to ID, but I find the idea of putting God to the test in that way to be sacrilegious. In any case, since Keith admits that this point is not central to his case against ID, I won't pursue it.

2. Second, most of the Christian ID proponents that I know of would agree that God lies behind all the phenomena of nature, not just special ones such as the bacterial flagellum. They would see God in the thunderstorm or the sunset, just as Keith Miller does. And, on the other hand, they would also see natural causes in the thunderstorm and the sunset, just as Keith Miller does. There is no debate between ID and TE proponents on this matter.

3. If the question is asked, "Well, if ID proponents see God *everywhere*, why then do ID proponents put so much emphasis on special cases such as the bacterial flagellum?" The answer is straightforward. Nothing tricky is going on in ID behaviour. It is simply that in such cases the "design" features become most striking, and the claim that non-intelligent causes alone can explain them appears the most implausible. This does not mean that ID proponents do not see "design" in less celebrated cases. Indeed, most ID proponents that I know of see "design" everywhere in nature. (See Michael Denton's writings, in which there is design from top to bottom in nature; yet Denton still mentions the flagellum and the avian lung and so on as particularly striking cases.) There is no inconsistency here. There is nothing intellectually dishonest about focusing on the most dramatic demonstrations of a principle.

4. Darwinism (defined as I've repeatedly defined it here, i.e., Darwinism "in its pure form") claims that the origin of all biological species, systems, structures, organelles, etc. can be explained in terms of the interplay of necessity and chance (natural selection, mutations, etc.), without any reference to intelligent causes. This is either a personal metaphysical requirement of Darwin -- in which case it is not a scientific statement of any kind, and scientists are under no obligation to take it as a working assumption -- or it is a scientific hypothesis. If it is a scientific hypothesis, then it cannot be treated as a necessary truth; it must be regarded as subject to falsification.

5. Regarding falsification -- (A). The example usually given in this regard, that of the Cambrian rabbit, is not to the point. The Cambrian rabbit would indeed falsify Darwinism, by falsifying Darwin's proposed pattern of common descent. But while common descent may be the issue between Darwinism and YEC, it is not the issue between Darwinism and ID. ID as such takes no position on common descent. The claim of ID proponents as such is not that macroevolution did not happen. The claim of ID proponents is that, even on the assumption that macroevolution happened in roughly the way that it is generally supposed to have happened, it cannot be explained by Darwinian mechanisms -- or, put more modestly, that it has not been so explained -- not by a long shot. (Footnote: I am talking here about ID in its pure theoretical form, not ID in its political form. I am interested in discussing theoretical options here, not culture wars. If there are, as there may well be, ID proponents who are in fact secretly plugging for YEC, they are of no concern to my argument here.)

6. Regarding falsification -- (B). Note that physicists, chemists, etc., are commonly expected to describe experiments which could, in principle, prove their hypotheses false. What experiment or observation (see #5 above for why Cambrian rabbits aren't relevant here) would prove the Darwinian mechanism false? The Darwinian "mechanism" is incredibly broad and vague. "Natural selection" and "mutation" cover a huge amount of ground. Especially in the case of "natural selection", our woefully incomplete knowledge of the habitats of hundreds of millions of years ago means that selectionist explanations have an overly-generous amount of free play, and involve a good deal of speculation. Add in other non-intelligent mechanisms, like "drift", and you have still more variables to play with. Ultimately "Darwinian" mechanisms can include the whole range of effects generatable by chance and necessity, and Darwinists can combine those effects in their imaginations to create all kinds of "hypothetical evolutionary pathways". Thus, Darwinian explanation is always filled with "might haves", "may haves", "perhapses", "possiblys", "could haves", etc. What this means, in practice, is that the moment that one "possible evolutionary pathway" is discredited, many others will always be available. If someone proves tomorrow that there is no possible ecologically sound pathway from, say, Mesonyx to the whales, will Darwinists say, "Well, I guess our belief that whales evolved from land mammals is false"? Not at all; they will try to find some other pathway, one running through, say, hippos. And if some clever geneticist comes along and proves that a hippo ancestry is genetically impossible, they will try to find another pathway, running through some rodent or insectivore or carnivore or pinniped. At no point will any Darwinist ever say: "It is not possible that whales evolved from land mammals", because to grant that would require a separate origin for land and sea mammals, which would destroy the Darwinian superstructure. And the defense for this stubbornness, this recalcitrance to evidence, will be the words of Keith Miller: "there is no way within science to distinguish between current ignorance and a true gap in scientific explanation". It is always just barely possible that ten years from now, or a thousand years from now, or a million years from now, another hypothetical evolutionary pathway will eventually emerge connecting land mammals to whales. Thus, Darwinism is so flexible as to be almost in principle unfalsifiable. How then is it "scientific" in the sense that physics and chemistry are? In those sciences, hypotheses put their necks on the line every day. So never mind whether or not "intelligent design" is scientific; how is Darwinian theory scientific? What could ever make it wrong, in the eyes of its proponents? (Footnote: When Ernst Mayr died a few years ago, a leading female American biologist declared that he was "the defender of the faith". That is a telling expression. I don't think that Newton or Clerk-Maxwell or Pasteur or Faraday were ever described in that way when they died. Propounders of scientific hypotheses don't "defend faiths". Is Darwinism a faith?)

7. The rest of Keith Miller's argument is more or less the same as Randy Isaac's. He argues that one cannot infer design without some prior knowledge of the designer or the means. I would like to make two points about this (A) Even if he is right, he still has not established that ID tries to "investigate divine action". Design-inference in ID is not God-inference (all IDers concede that God can be identified with the designer only by non-scientific arguments), and in any case, God's *effects* are not the same as God's invisible *actions*. ID as a theory, therefore, does not "investigate divine action", in any reasonable sense of that phrase. But it makes great theological rhetoric, which is why TE people keep using it. This greatly disappoints me. (B) The argument that prior knowledge of either the designer or the means is required for design detection strikes me as unsound, but to establish that will require a separate post. So I will leave it here for the moment.

Cameron.