Re: [asa] ID/Miracles/Design (Behe vs. Behe)

From: wjp <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Fri May 22 2009 - 10:42:42 EDT

Randy:

I agree, it seems, with much of your assessment of ID.

I agree that ID represents something of a methodology for detecting
paradigm failure. But I think the argument for inferring design is
stronger than you make it out to be.

The argument runs along the lines of all our scientific (and other) thinking.
The mechanical analogy was adopted because we are familiar with it.
So too the argument for design might proceed as follows.

We are familiar with intelligence. Our experience indicates that intelligence
can produce specified complexity. Indeed, it appears (if you reject that
paradigm failure has occurred -- the assumption of the filter) that intelligence
is the only thing that can produce the required specified complexity.

The same kind of thinking has produced all our understandings of the natural
world. The immediate rejection, of course, is that the cause is not "mechanical."
Indeed, it arises the old boggy man of entelechy and all the organic analogies
that have long been rejected. That, of course, is just the point of ID:
the neo-mechanical model has failed.

Additionally, you indicate that the explanatory filter only concludes that the
cause is not (law and chance), which does not logically entail design.
Lacking a specific alternative, you argue that all we can say is that "we don't
know." More carefully, and more importantly, the correct conclusion is that
the cause is not (law and chance). Hence, negatively we don't know what the
cause might be (as you indicate), but positively we know it is not (law and chance).
Hence, positively, we must look for something else.

Finally, I don't think I quite communicated the nature of my question.

What I'm asking is an essential scientific question.
We have two perspectives (the ones suggested by the explanatory filter).
I'm asking what is the utility of either.
Here utility can be taken as their value regarding expectations,
a guide to research, or our understanding.

So, specifically, the question is what is the utility of presuming either
1) that life/cell and speciation arose "accident" (i.e., neo-Darwinism), or
2) that life/cell and speciation did not arise by "accident"

I'm being intentionally vague on purpose. (2) is meant to be the denial of (1).
But you could replace (2) with (2'), wherein the possibility is something
like design.

It is not obvious to me that (1), (2), or (2') carries any scientific weight.
In what ways do any of them narrow our expectations?
I think little, for reasons I've given.
In what ways do any guide our research? ETC.

They may illumine our understanding, our sense of saying, "I know how it happened."
So the differences relate to causation. In what ways are the various
presumptive pictures of utility.

Thanks,

bill