[asa] Behe on Darwin, design and teleology

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Thu May 21 2009 - 23:32:49 EDT

Dear ASA list members:

Michael Behe maintains a blog post on Amazon.com which has much good material on it. Lately he has posted an unpublished letter of his, which has a striking paragraph about some of the issues we have been discussing. Behe is so good at writing with clarity, accuracy and brevity all at once, that I thought I should post it. He says what I have been trying to say, but it's better to hear it from an ID theorist than from a mere interpreter such as myself:

'Although some news reporters, lawyers, and parents are confused on the topic, "intelligent design" is not the opposite of "evolution." As some biologists before Darwin theorized, organisms might have descended with modification and be related by common descent, but the process might have been guided by some form of intelligence or teleological driving force in nature. Darwin's chief contribution was not the simple idea of common descent, but the hypothesis that evolution is driven completely by ateleological mechanisms, prominently including random variation and natural selection. Intelligent design has no proper argument with the bare idea of common descent; rather, it disputes the sufficiency of ateleological mechanisms to explain all facets of biology. Those who fail to grasp such distinctions are like people who can't distinguish between the ideas of Darwin and, say, Lamarck.'

Behe's blog posts can be found at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/blog/A3DGRQ0IO7KYQ2/ref=cm_blog_dp_artist_blog

Cameron.