Re: [asa] Darwinism (was: BioLogos - Bad Theology?)

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 20:28:31 EDT

Bernie:

I'm sorry to be contradictory, but you've got this wrong. "Darwinism" is
exactly what Darwin believed. Of course, he didn't call his beliefs
"Darwinism", but that's what his beliefs later came to be called. Have you
read *The Origin of Species*? *The Descent of Man*?

I think you are confusing "Darwinism" with "atheism". I never said that
Darwinism required atheism. Darwinism is compatible with Deism as well as
with atheism. What is essential to Darwin's system is not that there is no
God, but that God, if he exists, does not intervene in the natural laws that
he has established. He leaves the evolution of life to chance and natural
selection. Evolution is not only not miraculously guided; it is not
intelligently guided, either (though its results simulate the effects of
intelligence).

Dawkins, on the other hand, is indeed an atheist. He takes the evidence for
Darwinian evolution as a proof of atheism. Darwin was never that foolish,
and if he were to read *The God Delusion*, he probably would have thought
Dawkins an impertinent little twit, lacking any profound understanding of
religious questions. Nonetheless, both Darwin and Dawkins are Darwinists.
In fact, Dawkins, in *The Blind Watchmaker*, is probably the closest thing
to a classic Darwinist as you will find around these days.

I think you may also be confusing "Darwinism" with "evolution". Darwin did
not invent "evolution", nor is his theory the only theory of "evolution".
Bergson, Denton and others have non-Darwinian theories of evolution;
therefore they are not called "Darwinists" or "Darwinians", as Coyne,
Dawkins, Miller, etc. are.

I agree with you that Darwin is admirable in many ways. *The Origin of
Species* is a great book, revealing a disciplined and scrupulously honest
scientific mind. Erroneous, I believe, but still a great book. One can
become educated in many ways by reading it. I wish that more scientists
would actually do so. And I wish that modern Darwinists would write in
Darwin's calm, scholarly way, instead of in the swaggering, triumphalist
style that they typically employ, which serves no purpose except to heat up
the culture wars.

Cameron.