Re: [asa] What is Darwinism? What is TE?

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 05:17:25 EDT

Hi Cameron,

Since I am not a 'theistic evolutionist' I will not offer a definition of TE. But I'm glad you've asked this question to others on the list.

I think you'll find that several people who visit this list have trouble with the concept duo TE. Some prefer the duo 'evolutionary creationist,' e.g. like Lamoureux, as a matter of priority. But the catch is, of course, they surely don't want to be called a 'creationist,' even if they believe in Creation. While others simply agree that TE is a fuzzy term, they accept it as the best alternative to describing their view as a theist who accepts (certain or all aspects) of biological evolution. I prefer the latter long-definition to TE as it is more inclusive and open also to IDists (i.e. who are not all anti-evolutionists, at least, they are not anti-all-kinds-of-evolution). Then people can discuss the 'mechanisms' and errors that Darwin made as well as his successes.

BioLogos defines 'Darwinism' as follows:
"Darwinism is the scientific theory of evolution by natural selection, subsequently synthesized with Mendelian genetics and modern molecular biology. BioLogos accepts the correctness of this evolutionary model based on a massive database of supporting evidence, but views God as the author of this process."

With such a definition, BioLogos accepts 'guided' or 'authored' processes of natural change-over-time. In their definition, BioLogos doesn't speak specifically about origins, but the 'implication' (and ID is rife with 'implications') is that God created the heavens and the earth. TEists will likely argue with me about this, but their hesitation to embrace 'interventions' or 'discontinuities' testifies to their weak approach to origins in contrast to their strong support for process-oriented ideas.

Personally, I would find it odd if BioLogos, TE, and ID all offered 'mechanistic' approaches to organic things. ID as you know, harps on 'molecular machines.' BioLogos and TE suggest that 'natural selection' is a mechanism or mechanistic process. When people choose things or when God acts, however, they surely don't consider it 'mechanical,' but rather as signs of freedom. That is, when they apply reflexive rather than positivistic methods.

My simple contribution, following the words of Nietzsche: "Darwin forgot the spirit." Therefore, Darwinism also forgets the spirit in any elaboration that could still claim to be consistent with the teaching of Darwin. This view supports your position, Cameron, as has been expressed here by others, that the duo 'Christian Darwinism' is a contradiction in terms. Likely very few people or no one on this list considers them-self a 'Darwinist.' But most people do accept 'Darwinian' ideas.

Neo-Darwinism or the 'modern synthesis' is an addition to Darwin's views. Thus, Dobzhansky or Fisher could 'remember the spirit.' I suspect this is what TE is attempting to do as well: to remember the spirit. I just wish they would consult anthropology and psychology more often. Instead, they tend to remain in the natural-physical sciences where talk of spirit is kenotic, hidden, silent, a no-go zone.

Gregory