Re: [asa] TE The Future

From: Murray Hogg <muzhogg@netspace.net.au>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 00:25:40 EDT

Hi David,

I imagine TE's hold a range of ideas on the end-times, but speaking only for myself, I don't see TE as necessarily implying anything on the matter.

I know that some will argue that it's inconsistent to appropriate scientific theories of the universe's past whilst not also appropriating scientific theories of the universe's future - that is to say they will claim if one holds to evolution on scientific grounds one should also hold to the entire heat death of the universe idea on scientific grounds - but I couldn't more strongly disagree.

I hold to the view that evolutionary theory is grounded in observations rather than an a priori rejection of the miraculous - and so it's quite consistent to argue that evolution happened "naturally" but that everything will be brought to fulfillment supernaturally. One doesn't, in other words, have to rule out a cataclysmic divine intervention just because on thinks evolution occurred.

In terms of how science bears upon eschatology, I do think that how we conceptualize time and space is a relevant consideration - I don't, in particular, think we can meaningfully speak of the the deceased with reference to our temporal framework unless we also speak of them in reference to our spatial framework - if the deceased aren't locatable with respect to (say) New York, then they aren't locatable with respect to Eastern Standard Time. I recently did a presentation on this to our Australian science/Christianity group ISCAST which was vetted by a number of people with quite respectable standing in the physics/mathematical communities. Overall, it was rather well received, so I think the claim I'm making is reasonably sound - but that aside, the point is that the issue is one which strikes me as quite independent of concerns about evolution and human origins.

I'm happy to elaborate, but despite leaning toward some form of TE as the correct model of origins, my eschatological views are tentative, but such views as I admit to are quite boringly amillenial in shape.

Blessings,
Murray