[asa] on modern and pre-modern

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 19:23:58 EDT

I simply wanted to thank Cameron Wybrow for the detailed statement he made
about his own religious stance, in which he identifies himself more as a
pre-modern thinker than anything else (such as this or that type of
Christian or a post-Enlightenment thinker). I can relate to that.
Sometimes I've thought of myself as pre-modern also, insofar as I reject
some key Enlightenment assumptions, but I suppose in reality I'm a modern
critique of modern secularism, which is not the same thing as being a
pre-modern critique of it. I once described Polkinghorne as "a modern
thinker, but pre-modern enough to appreciate post-modern efforts to
demythologize science without embracing complete relativism." (Zygon, Dec
2000) One might perhaps say something similar about me.

Ted