Re: [asa] Fossil Discovery Is Heralded

From: Bill Powers <wjp@swcp.com>
Date: Tue May 19 2009 - 14:09:31 EDT

Moorad:

You say:
> Now if the fossil had been found in 10000 year old glacial till or in the
> Cambrian then "evolution" would be wrong

I'm fairly certain this is incorrect.

What would happen is that we would, a la Quine's "web of belief", begin
with our least cherished assumptions and work our way inwards, discarding
or re-evaluating along the way. There would always be the option of
simply assigning the data to some anamolous shelf indefinitely.

Nothing can overturn evolutionary theory, but an alternative theory.

bill