Re: [asa] BioLogos - Bad Theology?

From: Nucacids <nucacids@wowway.com>
Date: Mon May 18 2009 - 20:14:58 EDT

Hi Iain,

“Yes, but what do you mean by "us"?”

You. Me. Our spouses. Our children. Our parents. Not abstract mental constructs like "human." Living, breathing, real people. Us.

“Just how different from the homo sapiens that we know does it have to be before it's not "us" any more? Let's assume that the dominant intelligent, rational species is called "human" just for the sake of argument - after all it's just a label, just a name. So what if all humans had pointed ears and green blood, and God became incarnate in a green-blooded pointy-eared individual, and then died on the Cross to save our doomed race of green-blooded pointy eared sinners? Why would that not be Christianity just the same - it is the same redemptive plan, the only difference is that "humans" look a bit different.”

It might be the Christian Gospel played out for another species, but since I do not believe we are ghosts in a machine, it would not, and could not, be us. Perhaps it would help if I quoted a key part to my original essay:

So what makes us us? Our genetic identities. Our experiences. Our memories. Our choices.

-Mike