Re: [asa] an Archimedean point in theology? (was: natural theology, bad and good)

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Fri May 15 2009 - 15:23:24 EDT

Cameron -

I appreciate very much your statement of your position & its rationale. Here I'll make a few comments on your points. In a later post - I hope soon - I'll respond to the challenge you posed earlier as to why a theology of the cross should be a preferred "Archimedean point" for theology.

In discussing the variety of Christian views at the start you put "heretics" in parentheses, suggesting that this is a dubious concept. Yet in an earlier post you referred in a straightforward way to Teilhard's "heresies" (without quotes). Maybe you just meant that Rome considered them heretical? Or is heresy a legitimate concept after all?

& connecting with that, you state your preference for a humble & irenic approach to theology. I agree that humility and peace are desirable but surely at some point one has to say with Luther (whether or not on the issues in question at Worms) "Here I stand." To say "Here I stand but maybe I could stand somewhere else" seems hardly satisfactory. Of course some issues are worth fighting for and some aren't. Whether or not the body and blood of Christ are really present in the sacrament is in the former category, while fighting about whether or not leavened or unleavened bread should be used - the azyme controversy that helped to divide East & West - was stupid.

& further on heresy - I hope it would be superfluous in me to say that I don't approve of executing heretics! But it's hardly fair to pick on Calvin for criticism for burning Servetus. He was enforcing the provisions of imperial law & had the opportunity to do so only because Servetus had escaped from roasting the Roman Catholic authorities in Lyon. & Aquinas, for whom you've expressed some admiration, argued that it was appropriate for heretics to be executed if they refused to recant (Summa Theologica, Part II of 2d Part, Q. xi, Art.3).

On more cheery matters, first I should say that I have a great appreciation for Plato, especially from a scientific standpoint. The Timaeus is the first real text of theoretical physics, or at least the first one extant. It's influence on Heisenberg was quite explicit, & writings of a number of other physicists have a platonic character. I've written about this several times, including Ch.5 of The Cosmos in the Light of the Cross. However, both science and theology demand some changes in the platonic picture.

& in line with that, I would not want to pit Logos theology against a theology of the cross. Justin Martyr's statement about those who live by Reason being Christians even if they are accounted atheists had a strong impression on me from the time I encountered it in my father's Bettenson back in high school. But the critical question is how we know who the Logos is. Against some modern theologians whom I tend to sympathize on other matters I think it's necessary to retain the concept of the logos asarkos. But that we can know the logos asarkos by observation of the world and our own reasoning is something else. I make the same distinction here as with a supposed natural knowledge of God in general - between simply knowing that there is some "World Reason" and knowing who it is, let alone having personal knowledge of the logos. It's a mistake to think that the 4th Gospel presents us with a theology of the logos asarkos. Rather, "the Word became flesh" and "we beheld his glory" - which in the language of that Gospel points to the cross-resurrection event. If you read one of the articles on ID that I referenced earlier you'll recall that this is one of the criticisms I made of Dembski's statement that "ID is just the Logos theology of John's Gospel in the language of information theory."

Then I want to clarify your statement that my theological focus is "Christ the sufferer." The theology of the cross is not just about Good Friday but about the whole triduum, the passion-cross-resurrection event. Suffering & death don't have the last word. But language about the resurrection should not be allowed to obscure the fact that the risen one is the crucified. Easter intensifies & in a way makes permanent the scandal of the cross.

Finally, I would agree that mine is not "the" Christian view, the only Christian view, of creation. The claim that Christ is the agent of creation, however, has pretty solid ecumenical grounding - i.e., the Nicene Creed. & in another way one can maintain that TE, understood as a very general statement that biological evolution has occurred & that God has been active in the process, is correct & views that deny this are wrong. That's simply because the scientific evidence for evolution is overwhelming & the doctrine of creation is supposed to talk about the creation of the real world. I would not, however, say that YEC in itself is heresy.

Shalom
George