Re: [asa] social evolution for Jon Tandy

From: Dave Wallace <wmdavid.wallace@gmail.com>
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 17:24:28 EDT

Dehler, Bernie wrote:
> Contrary-wise, I heard a historian say that Hitler was rather noble compared to Alexander the Great. Hitler had an ideal, even though it was twisted. Alexander the Great would wipe-out cities for simply for the vain glory of killing.

In 1973-74 we lived in Helsinki, at the end of our time we drove through
Poland on our way ultimately to Amsterdam and a flight to Canada. After
we left Krakow going to Prague we happened to pass Auschwitz. 6 million
Jews is hard to grasp but a 10' * 10' room full of human hair or
eyeglasses to a depth of 6' really hits home and scars the soul. Seeing
the furnaces etc is indescribable.

I think Hitler and Stalin both came pretty close to equaling anything in
the past.

Dave W