[asa] Fw: Public Lecture: Discovery of Global Warming

From: Michael Roberts <michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Thu May 14 2009 - 18:06:53 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Costica Bradatan" <bradatan@MAIL.H-NET.MSU.EDU>
To: <H-IDEAS@H-NET.MSU.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, May 14, 2009 10:38 PM
Subject: Public Lecture: Discovery of Global Warming

You are cordially invited to
a public lecture and discussion

The Discovery of Global Warming

Spencer R. Weart
Center for History of Physics at the
American Institute of Physics

Wednesday, 27 May 2009

Time:

6:30 p.m.

Location:

The Academy of Natural Sciences
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway

Directions:

http://www.ansp.org/visit/directions.php
<http://www.ansp.org/visit/directions.php>

RSVP:

www.pachs.net

This lecture is free and open to the public.

Dr. Weart describes how we got to our current understanding of global
warming, beginning as a detective story involving a few scientists
obsessed with the mysteries of climate change, and growing to an epic
tale involving entire governments, national publics, and international
communities of scientists.

Spencer R. Weart, originally trained as a physicist, is a noted
historian specializing in the history of modern physics and geophysics.
Until his retirement in 2009 he was Director of the Center for History
of Physics of the American Institute of Physics in College Park,
Maryland, USA, and he continues to be affiliated with the Center. His
most recent book is The Discovery of Global Warming (revised edition,
2008), a condensed version of his extensive and widely used scholarly
website on the history of climate change research
<http://www.aip.org/history/climate/index.html> .

This talk is part of the Town Square: Science for Citizens
<http://www.ansp.org/environmental/town_square.php> program of the
Academy of Natural Sciences.

The Philadelphia Area Center for History of Science
<http://www.pachs.net> is a consortium of educational and cultural
institutions that uses the exceptional resources of the Philadelphia
area to promote public and scholarly understanding of the history of
science, technology, and medicine.

Costica Bradatan,
H-Ideas Online Editor

Senior Editor, Janus Head