[asa] Re: [asa] Re: [asa] Re: [asa] Szilágyi

From: George Murphy <GMURPHY10@neo.rr.com>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 17:06:10 EDT

Gregory -

A few brief comments -

Bob Russell pointed out 20 years ago that "science and theology" should really be understood as shorthand for "science-theology-technology-ethics." It's a 4-way conversation (at least!). Whether or not philosophy should be considered a full partner in the discussions is debatable - I tend to see it in a support role. That will annoy you, as you would put it, but it's not bthe 1st time we've disagreed about this.

I think you are over-generalizing in suggesting that polarization between science and religion afflicts all North Americans. Of course many do hold that view, as the continuing popularity of "warfare" language indicates. But most NAs involved in serious science-religion discussions are committed to some non-polarizing view - Barbour's dialogue or integration types. & the great majority of ASA members, simply by virtue of being Christians as well as scientists, have figured out ways to hold the two together. Of course this doesn't mean that they don't see any tough issues at the interface.

I'm not particularly annoyed by your pointing out that I didn't refer to the Holy Spirit in my Bratislava talk. It would be nice though for you to acknowledge that I have done that in other settings. (& as far as an "unbalanced Trinity" is concerned it's interesting that one section in Alexei Nesteruk's Light from the East, one of the few modern Orthodox works on science & theology available here, is titled "Christ-Event as the Foundation of Theology."

Shalom
George