Re: [asa] Re: "horror miraculi"

From: Gregory Arago <gregoryarago@yahoo.ca>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 15:25:31 EDT

Excellent! A turn of phrase that turned out to have 'multiple origins.' :0)

Let me add to the thoughts expressed by the authors mentioned this contribution by Max Weber:

“Who – aside from certain big children who are indeed found in the natural sciences – still believes that the findings of astronomy, biology, physics, or chemistry could teach us anything about the meaning of the world? If there is any such ‘meaning,’ along what road could one come upon its tracks? If these natural sciences lead to anything in this way, they are apt to make the belief that there is such a thing as the ‘meaning’ of the universe die out at its very roots.” ("Science as a Vocation." 1919)

And this coming from a scholar who was not anti-science!

Gregory