[asa] Re: "horror miraculi"

From: Cameron Wybrow <wybrowc@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed May 13 2009 - 15:09:04 EDT

No, Ted, I wasn't "looking for" any term. I was making one up, out of my
knowledge of Latin. And in fact I originally wrote "horror miraculi"
(horror of miracle, genitive singular), but changed it to "horror
miraculorum" (horror of miracles, genitive plural). Just as I don't need to
have read the ninth Bridgewater Treatise to come up with similar arguments,
so I don't need to have read Hooykaas to have come up with one of his
phrases on my own. :-)

I don't disagree with anything Hooykaas says below. But there is no *a
priori* certainty that the origin of the cosmos or the origin of life or of
species can be explained scientifically, and there is no guarantee that
scientists won't be banging their heads against a steel wall if they try to
do so. Should scientists be permitted to try to explain origins
naturalistically? Absolutely. Do they have the right to assume that
naturalistic explanations will be forthcoming? Absolutely not.

Cameron.